Sign in to follow this  
Sardaara

replacing front brakes...

hey guys xf needs new front brake pads, any threads that i can look at on how to do it? they were saying to repack the pads? cant you buy the whole thingy mi jiggy new? what ever they are called... ?

easy as wheel off. one bolt out then. slide the caliper upwards. or downwards depends on which bolt you have taken out. then push the caliper off. and replace the pads in the seats. then use a clamp to tighten the piston on the caliper up. from the gap in the top and put the caliper back on partially and then release the clamp and then push the caliper down the rest of the way. and bolt it up

I don't no about repacking them but a pad change is pretty easy....

U just unbolt the caliper pull the old pads out, then u will have to push the pistons back in that push the pads onto the discs

There is a special tool u can buy to do this but a g clamp or f clamp works well just push the piston back in with the clamp than put new pads in and refit the caliper put ya wheels back on but remember to give ya brake pedal a few pumps so u go a firm pedal before u go anywhere n u should be right to go!

mate i hate to be a grinch, but your lack of understanding is very dangerous, i suggest you take your car to a mechanic, if you have a friend who is a mechanic (not a mate who thinks he knows what hes doing) get them to do it, and show you how to do it properly, and explain to you what to look for.

DO NOT attempt to do this on your own, if you over/undertighten a bolt, it could have serious consiquences such as snapping caliper bolts apon heavy brake application, that leaves you with zero brakes, in a situation when you need them, that can be fatal for you or someone else.

other things are involved in changing pads, like checking wear patterns, seal condition, slide movement, brake fluid colour and condition, rotor wear, etc.

hahah thanks boys! i was in melt down mode yestie.. the mechanics just gave me a short curcuit... and i was like ahh ya fucken pricks!! i just reread my post and went uh oh that was worded terribly.

Im pretty goo with most things.. done a few brake pad change over before. only thing i ely on ehavnt got in the shed is a hoist and a press. (Being a farmer cant always rely on dealerships if a break down happens)

neighbours a head mechanic at jax tyres, so we will have a look at her tommz...

sorry about the confusion... being in and out of hospital for tests that show nothing for last week or so... and stupid mechanic dropping a a bomb on me for $3500 of work... kinda got me wound up! good and golden now...