Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

XF Heater Controls

Question regarding XF/ZL heater boxes and controls.

My ute currently has a ZL heater box and dash in it. I'm changing back to the standard XF GL style dash, but don't want to change the heater box, because this one works properly.

Am I right in thinking you can remove the electronic components on the ZL box and so it will work with the XF cable style setup?

And the other thing, how do you connect and adjust the heater control cable? I've only ever removed GL dashes, never installed one.

i am fairly sure the cable has a metal clip on it, that attaches it to the lever on the heater box(behind glove box) just flip it off with a screw driver(say jebus where did that go) and then the cable come out of a half threaded doover thingy..

i would assume its same heater box with electric thingys. but for about 10 bolts and 2 heater hoses(without air con hooked up) it is simple to remove when the dash it out.

Heater boxes are identical. Pretty sure that all you need to do is as deandx said, just remove the electronic control unit and slot the cable and clip for the manual control into it.

Might need a couple of goes at it to get the position of the cable right in the flap arm.

Might need a couple of goes at it to get the position of the cable right in the flap arm.

pretty sure you just put it on full hot or full cold and flip the lever on the heater box  to the extreme and clip it in.

i havent done one for ages, but have an XG here i could check if you wanted to

Thanks guys.

Reason I don't want to change the box is this one has the stronger metal recirc/fresh valve, and it's not broken. The GL one I have, is broken.

Plus I've refoamed the ZL one that is currently in the ute.

I'll see how I go with it Dean, and if I get stuck I'll ask for pics :P