Hush

XP wheelhouse - inner rear quarters

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some advice regarding the rear wheelhouse panels on hardtop falcons...

I've been advised on another forum that the mustangs of similar vintages don't share the same wheelhouse panels as those of the XM-XP hardtops, can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Also, for those who to tub their XM-XP's do they remove the entire wheel house or do they simply attach the 'new tub' to the old wheelhouse panels... ie is this perhaps an angle worth chasing down to get some replacement panels for the rust repair required on my old girl?

Hopefully I've made enough sense for you all to follow and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Any and all knowledge will be gratefully accepted

Thanks

Hush

The outers are definitely different to mustang, can't say on the inners though, some people who tub their cars simple straighten up the inner wheel house and use a filler piece (also known as mini tubbing ) but to get any advantage from it in an early falcon the rear springs have to be moved inward (or replaced with a 4 link etc ) otherwise you are still restricted to a 195~205 width tire (it is possible to go a little wider with stock spring location but usually involves un bolting the shocks to remove or re fit the rear wheels ) but the stock wheel housings will take a 235~245 ( depending on offset ) with just the springs moved

Dunno if this applies to early girls but XA-XC coupes had inner and outer wheelhouse of different widths, but on the (30 unofficial) XC "Bathurst" Cobras they made a factory tub by simply using the wider of the two wheelhouses for both inner and outer, giving an extra 2" or so.

Thanks for your help everyone....

So Thom would it perhaps be a feasible option, if I can't get a hold of a new-old panel, to try and track down someone who is mini-tubbing their old girl to see if they are willing to part with their original inner guards?

Thanks for your help everyone....

So Thom would it perhaps be a feasible option, if I can't get a hold of a new-old panel, to try and track down someone who is mini-tubbing their old girl to see if they are willing to part with their original inner guards?

Probably your best bet if you can't get them new