Raymond Daley

oversize head studs??

Hi guys just wanted to know if there is a kit to do oversize head studs for the flow?? just building up a motor and found one f@*ked heliecoil so its time to go head studs but need to be over size.. any help would be great.

3rd hole back on left side.. the motor is 40tho over 200 rods balanced custom cam double row timing chain C1A head with 351 valves double springs rolla rockers hardened push rods.. I just pulled it down to put new rings and bearings.. it will be running a EFI on a Haltech E11v2 running full sequential and direct fire. I'm hoping for the 250hp 

Yep, what they said ^ ^ ^  Great product when used correctly. You'd be pushing it to find oversized head studs at any Auto store, and you'd have to make sure it was the same torque rating as the standard size ones. 

so it looks like it has had a re coil kit on the one hole before... but now it looks like the thread on the re coil is stuffed..

Hmmm that's an interesting one. The recoil thread I believe is something like as hard as stainless steel so it should be destroying the bolt well before you destroy the recoil. Also the recoil does not have the same sharp shape to the thread a normal thread will and looks like it has been stripped when it actually hasn't. Maybe take a pic the best you can to show where it's stuffed

That's quite odd to have the slot cut into the end of the plug like that. Could it have been pinned from the side of the block to stop it walking out? I just don't get why they'd do it.

You could try installing another plug if the thread in the block is still ok. Then loctite it in with some bearing fit super-dooper crap. Or drill and pin down the side of it to lock the plug in.

Is the insert like a taper lock sly? Does the bottom of the insert spread as the bolt is wound in locking it against the the outer thread? Do they have benefit over a recoil?

Don't panic, mate. It can be fixed.

One of the many joys of owning a 30 year old car. 20 backyard mechanics, and a few dodgy professionals have worked on it. Doesn't take much to strip a thread when its old, rusty, corroded, or had a bit of water pipe on the torque wrench........

If you're not confident in doing it, yourself, find a machine shop. They can install the Helicoil/Recoil for you.

Is the insert like a taper lock sly? Does the bottom of the insert spread as the bolt is wound in locking it against the the outer thread? Do they have benefit over a recoil?

Well lets just hope the guy who has 1 in his will reply.

sorry i didn't get the size of the hole 2day was pretty busy and now i'm busy drinking beer.. up QLD.. what a win.. anyway.. I have a 60thou over motor swell but the piston have a good size dish to them and also the piston is far from the deck hight.... so I was thinking of running a set of FG xrt6 rods.. I know they are taller than the 250 and shorter than the 200 and I could always machine down the top of the piston.. has anyone ever played around with putting AU to FG rods in xflow's and if so can you tell me the in's and out's?? my 40thou over motor has bugger all dish and has 200 rods. would like to use it but if I can get the right rods for the 60 over motor I think i would be better doing that.?