Sign in to follow this  
xcsam

Tremec to Clevo

G'day, I just got myself a Tremec gearbox in good condition that was said to be removed from a Ford. I am aiming to build a 400hp 351 or storker clevo for my XC ute. Previously, I was planning to fit a T5 gearbox from an XF to my ute, but lots of people have advised me against that due to the weaknesses of the T5. Was the first Tremec gearbox the 3550? If so, they are rated at 350 ft/lbs or 474nm for torque, compared with the 265 ft/lbs or 359nm torque of the earliest T5 box. If the box I got is a TKO, it is rated at somewhere between 375 and 400ft/lbs of torque. How do I interpret the torque ratings of the gearboxes. Do you guys reckon that it will be adequate to stand up to the 400 flywheel hp that I am hoping for out of my clevo? Will I need to a) modify my existing single-rail to clevo bellhousing that I was expecting to use, B) modify the bellhousing that comes with the box, or c) purchase a specific tremec to clevo bellhousing? What are the options for my clutch setup?

Thanks guy!

im fitting a el t5 into my ute its making 400hp and im not worryed, they dont just go pop unless you do somthing real nasty

im still useing my cast bellhousing

got a mate with a tremec behind his blown 383 stroker in his xy ,his came from  ford brand new, was excess for the au 3,xr8 range, 

currently he,s got 820 rwhp ,doesnt have any problems ,

they are strong , but the only problems are the input shafts turning a funny blue colour[heat distorsion] dont let that phase you tho lol , its puzzling just to see one that colour!

Ok, cool. I am picking my gearbox up tomorrow morning and i'll let you know exactly which one it is, but judging by what you guys have said, it's exactly what I need for my clevo.

I've been doing a bit of research on the TTC- Tremec website, and it looks much like an earlier Tremec T5, not the TR3650 as seen in the BA Falcon. 

The number on the gearbox is 13-52-065-922, which means it is a T5. Looking online for those numbers, it appears that it was from a 5.0 V8 Mustang between 83-84. The ratios I found are:

Reverse- 2.76

1st- 2.95

2nd- 1.94

3rd- 1.34

4th- 1

5th- 0.63

Torque- 305 ft/lb