Panko

good cut and polish after painting

Hi, 

i have just finished doing some rust repairs on the car, and have resprayed the repaired area. I understand there is a bit of overspray and crap that needs to be cleaned up from the areas around outside where I have blended the new paint with the old. 

I obviously need to give it a good cut and polish. who can recommend a good cut and polish to use on fresh paint? I want to do this before i put the rear windows back in. 

Cheers

Go on waxit.com.au and order the new Scholl S20 formula. It is new amazing stuff, I have recently tested it on my cars and started using it. Use the recommended pads and you will get a really high gloss finish. Invest in a rotary or orbital buffer.

Ok ill take a look. How long do they take to deliver? Im pushed for time so if i can get something off the shelf to save a few days, that would be ace.

Meguiars ultimate compound will do the job however I would be sanding it with 1500-2000grit first. This scholl stuff is tonnes better tho.

Use a cutting compound and a buff. Cut it back with 2000 and run the buff

Im using a 3M cutter atm much better then the G3 cutter I was using

White is super forgiving color it will be hard to ever see where you have been once you have done it

Anything will work on white.

Wet rub it with 1500 and or 2000 then use septone Mr buff. Super cheap still sell it.

Hit it afterwards with ultimate compound.

Don't seal or wax it for a while, let it cure and gas out.

This is all assuming you have a rotary.

Ok thanks. I dont have a rotoary but i was planning on buying one anyway.

What you recommend for pads for the rotory?

Ok thanks SLO, how much do i need to scuff it up? Ill watch a few videos before i do it.

Tpak its big enough area to warrant using a rotory, otherwise id be doing it by hand. Plus iv been wanting to invest in a rotory anyway.

Depends what you are trying to achieve. If you want to knock off the peel hit it until it loses the texture. Keep the hose running over it, don't use pressure and just gently hit it in a criss cross pattern.

Then hit in with the rotary, put a few drops on the cutting/compounding pad, spread it on the panel with the pad then do a few passes at low-medium speed with a bit of pressure. A few passes with a finer pad and something like ultimate compound, and youre good.

Its hard to stuff up on white and even a basic method like this will look fine.

If it was any other colour or a metalic then I wouldn't go near it with mr buff, you would want some of the more modern stuff like Alex suggested.

The Ultimate compound by itself on the hard pad could do the job with a few high speed passes I'd say, the mr buff will just make it easy as it was made for basic Acrylic single stage paint like they used to use.

Lots of good advice here! I would use a very light sanding block made out of rubber to cut it back with the sandpaper.

Don't be scared once you start cutting into the paint with 1500 or 2000 and it starts to come matt, that's good. Any low spots will be shiney so that is the areas you want to attend to the most to get that mirror finish. White is very very easy to work with! Did you use a base coat and a clear or a full white gloss coat?

Thanks guys, plenty of great advice. Im heading up to work on the car today, i should hopefully get is cleaned up today.

I used a colour coded spray on high fill/primer then a 2k acrylic base without a clear, just a blening agent over the top to smooth the blend areas off.