Anthony Pllu

Xe diff questions

Ok guys

I have 2 diffs one from a XE one from a EF. both are 0578. my plan was to take the 3:45 gears from the ef and put into the XE.

now running into issue's

The XE diff tho it is a 0578 housing the gears were 0575. i put 0575 bearings onto the 3:45 pinion but cant get them to mesh correctly. i am now looking at puting 0578 bearings back onto the pinion and changing the race on the XE housing to suit the larger bearing. 

What i cant work out tho is even tho both housings are 0578 the area for the pinion race is different on each housing. the EF one is a few mm deeper than the XE. so thinking the 0578 race is not going to go in there. even tho the housing is 0578. 

I dont want to put the EF diff in as alot of other stuff to change. 

Also noticed that the bearings on the 0575 crown gear are much smaller than the ones on the 3:45. shall i put the smaller bearings on the 3:45?

Im stuck. when i put it all together it seems fine. but asoon as i torque the caps for the crown gear down it all locks up. if i just even crack the bolts back half a turn it all frees up and seems fine. 

Iv checked the crown gear torqued down by itself and it was fine

Any help please

to add another option. can i use the EF housing in the FD but drill new holes in the caliper bracket so the calipers sit in the same position as they do on the X series diff housing? and yes i have EF lower control arm bushes 

EF diff into XE is a metric brake line adapter and revised handbrake...alot easier then changing gears.Yes I have done both ways.

All you needed to make it work was the bearings,cups and pinion cup. But if the gears would mesh without correct shims in the new housing is always a question aswell.

yeah i have the bearing cups and have changed the race and bearing on the pinion but just wont mesh.

i have looked at alot of other forums and post's and some people have put the XE-F brakes on the EF housing. thinking might be the way to go rather then spending more money on new rotors and pads. then doing the line adapter and the hand brake. then bleeding the system again. and i personally dont like the idea of stuffing around with brake fittings.

ill put all the 3:45 stuff back into the EF housing. just waiting on new bearings as i have to put the 0578 bearings back on the pinion. 

I have new EF lower control arm bushes all fitted up ready to go. 

Only thing im wondering with that is will the Flange from the XE diff go onto the EF housing. i know it fits on the pinion i have already tried that. but looks like it will make the tailshaft about 3mm shorter. is that going to be a issue?

This pic shows the difference in length between e series sedan and long wheel base models tailshafts. Black one is from an ed sedan (steel) other one is from an xh ute (alloy)

20141108_170541_zpsd034340b.jpg

Full view

20141108_170416_zpsc42c0b39.jpg

What the hell is a FD ? Is it cart axle or coil ? If it's cart use a Eb on wagon diff (less work then a ute) . I use a ED wagon diff in my XF ute. Bit different to stock but it worked as a replacement for ages.

What the hell is a FD ? Is it cart axle or coil ? If it's cart use a Eb on wagon diff (less work then a ute) . I use a ED wagon diff in my XF ute. Bit different to stock but it worked as a replacement for ages.

FD is a XE LTD, has coil rear end