XFGHIA747

diff pinion nut help

Hey guys im just after some tips maybe jigs you have made up for holding the borg warner diff yokes wile doing up the nut to I understand that it needs to have the right amount of bearing drag on a torque gauge but its a pain in the ass to hold the yoke steady?

Would it be right you use a big set of monkey grips or make a piece of flat plate to go in the cap holes? Any ideas

The only way to correctly take that measurement is to have the whole diff stripped down on a bench and measure the bearing drag without a seal installed. Mark where the nut sits in relation to the pinion shaft so that when it's all back together, you line it back up to get your preload.

Measuring the bearing drag with everything else installed means you're measuring the drag of all moving parts combined.

If you've got it stripped already then disregard what I just said.

Holding the flange can be done many ways, some make up a bar with bolts welded to it that line up with two of the holes in the flange. Your method might be ok but not the easiest. I've wedged a piece of wood or ally bar into the pinion while rattling it up with a gun.

I don't know anybody who has bothered to measure the bearing drag to the extent you're talking of. I've just rattled it up and felt it purely by hand and it's never been an issue.

Thanks gerg got it all in there nicely I made up a plate with a slot cut out to go over the yoke then tentioned up to where it was before, slightly more due to bearing wear and im happy, as all I done was swap from flat flange to earlier ford..