XDPSI

Potential bitsa for my xp ute / Bf block / Au trimmings and ECU - made 170rwkw

Hey guys,

I recently put together a motor for my little cousin in his AU xr6 mockup wagon. It was a series one, auto, single pegger, stock sohc. All of this was swapped out with a 3.45lsd, t5 and bf motor. Conversion was pretty piss easy to be honest. Anyone want any info just hit me up. Hard to find reliable info on the net as we found out so we just went for it and the outcome was great. Made 170rwkw on the dyno with just bolt on's and a tune. Problem was the lsd, being manual and the lack of experience resulted in a written off car. :( It was an expensive lesson but I now have the opportunity to buy the motor complete with what ever i need to run it.

The bf motor runs spot on with the au engine loom with all the mods to get it working with the tuned au ecu but i want to put the setup in my xp ute as my turbo fg motor that will be going into the xp is still piecing together. Rather run the na bf motor for now and finish the car then drop the turbo fg motor in later. 

What do i have to take out of the Au for the engine to run in any chassis? Obviously i will take the engine loom that runs to the ecu. The ecu and hand controller. But i know the bcm i think its called that runs all the central locking, lights etc has to be synced up or whatever to the ecu in a normal scenario if you change computers. Does this mean i will need to take the loom that connects to the bcm and also install it? Basically the plan is to run the motor in the xp chassis with the least amount of shit. I just want it to run standalone if possible. Anyone got any ideas or experience as to how to do this and what exactly is needed/not needed?

Cheers,

Mike.

Sounds awesome mate, a DOHC XP would be a pretty challenging conversion on many fronts as I think some firewall, tunnel and engine bay surgery will definitely be on the cards. Bonnet clearance may also be an issue.

For the NA setup I don't think the BBM will clear the shock tower or strut brace for that matter (unless you're removing them and making new ones). You might have to make a custom intake manifold or cut & shut an ea-ed log manifold.

They have seriously tight engine bays, I've dropped a crossflow into my XP ute on custom mounts/crossmember even that will be tight once I squeeze in everything (turbo, manifold, dump pipe, radiator etc).

I doubt an FG factory turbo and manifold will clear the strut tower when you eventually drop in the turbo engine. Intercooling will be a challenge as well without hacking up the front of the car. I will be running a water to air for that reason.

As far as the ecu goes as Gerg said a J3 chip should sort the bcm issue out. The only disadvantage is not being able to run the VCT with the AU ecu.

For the turbo motor ecu Nizpro are gurus on Falcon (Visteon?) ECUs, they used it to run a turbo Nissan VH45 V8 in a ski boat of all things, they even rate it above Motec. Or you could use an aftermarket ECU capable of running VCT and fly by wire throttle.

Once you sort all of that out, engineering will be a hurdle. In the national guidelines for vehicle mods a 4 litre turbo isn't compliant in a car that light, which is why I'm doing a turbo 200 crossflow.

Very interested to see how you do it, good luck!

That's good to hear gerg :) Yeah I'm expecting a few headaches that's for sure. There is a bit of room to go forward if under the rad support is nicked out but I dunno how the weight distribution will be. Until I sit a dummy block in I won't know. First thing I'll do is copy my mates rack and pinion setup on his xl ute as I have an ea rack that I got with the car. Hopefully I can make it work. My fg motor will be backed up with a c series transmission so I'll see how the clearances are once it's all dummies up. Shortened 9inch was installed a month or so ago so that's sorted. Expecting modding manifolds or making new ones. Modded them before and it's a headache but they've been successful. Can you buy aftermarket shocker tower braces? I've pretty much got the fg-t long motor (basically brand new) brand new 3540 external gate and a wolf v5 ecu to handle the ignition side of things. Cooler side of things I have down pat from doing my turbo cars and my mates so I'll make it work one way or another. I considered going a 221 turbo once but then I got the fg motor and thought fk it, haha.