Butcha

Meth drinkin turbo crossy

ol mate was doing alright didnt quite catch what caused him to fence but he went in hard. Was good just to watch tho. Dusty as hell do the mods get decent traction with the track like that? we don't.

Nah mate traction suffers - especially if you have good hp.  Lucky the carton motor didn't suffer from that so what it had, it got to the ground.

Brenton copped a good tap on the right rear corner after he passed Dave Stretton - who was driving Max's car (5).  Dave was loose and rusty as and turned into Brenton.  Nothing intentional I don't think - just a case of old rusty driver in a car with plenty of stick. 

Fyi The rigs still goin last meet i fucked up with some ecu parameters and after 2 laps engine went off song and was huffing oil out the dipstick...fuck. got home and i found i blew the head gasket on 2,3,5,6 and blew a hole from the chamer on number 6 though to the pushrod hole. Coating the pushrod in molten alluminium.

Assembled the spare head i had here with the valvetrain and shes back up and running for tomorrow night. Had bit of a play today with the tuning and it feels good. Ripped 100m skid in 3rd on the road @7000rpm and she feels good so we will see how we go tommora night.

I will say the turbo feels lazy as i am down from 12:1 compression down to about 10:1. Though it should give me a wider tuning window.

ill do a little write up and put dyno sheets up lil later but in short,

Went there and played with fuel a bit then did a power run and did 290rwhp @25 deg timing.

Added a bit of fuel but it dropped a few horses.

Bumped up timing to 30deg and it made 310rwhp

Bumped up timing to 35 and it made 321rwhp.

I think the fuel is way rich as my 02 was bottomed out but the dynos was reading about 5.0 -4.8 so i didnt know what to believe.

So i cranked in the dial on the wastegate and it went 401.7rwhp and climbing but the bloke stopped about 5400 as the alternator flipped its belt an threw a shitload of smoke.

37f9ac24ccde895102367cb39fd8c492.jpg

Ok as promised.

Run 1 was as i had it @24 deg timing 8psi base it wasnt happy as i think it was way rich and was bucking a bit in the top. I played around a little with fuel and did a few other runs which were within 5hp of this.

Second run at 30deg timing straight after the above and pulled around 311 much cleaner up top. changed the timing to 35deg and did another run straight up and netted the 321 you see there.

Had a fuel leak and mucked around a bit fix it. I thought it was way too rich the way it was falling off up top.my gauge was going off the scale (below 4:1). Yet his probe was saying about 5 to 4.8 which was too lean for my liking.i figured the quickes way to see was to add more air rather than pull fuel. With the timing pulled back to 30. Cranked in the wastegate a turn..

The 394hp run was pulled early as the hp shot out of range of his screen, he changed it his screen and did another pull but pulled it up short (i told him to go to 6500) as a shitload of smoke came out the bonnet. The alternator belt rolled over and shit itself. So 401.7hp back to back run. the tractive effort is much flatter so i guess it needs less fuel up top. No spare alterator belt meant the end of a session.

I need to go back through the dataloggs to see what else is happening with intake temps etc. But im reasonbly happy with that last figure for what it is. It hits the rollers hard when it comes on boost. Took a few goes in strapping car down and mucking with tyre pessures to hold er down.

That tractive effort is a simple linear conversion to torque. Looks like the turbo spools up and torque comes on hard but then dips for whatever reason, possibly you have wastegate issues or blowoff leaking?

That's still plenty of herbs right there

Lol that's better

So half of that gives you a radius of 14" then to make it into feet that's 14/12

= 1.167'

2250/1.167 = 1928 lb-ft at the axle

Then divide that by the diff ratio 5.83 (wow serious?)

1928/5.83 = 330 lb-ft at the flywheel given a 1:1 gearbox ratio

This is with drivetrain losses and tyre friction/slip which are anyone's guess

Sorry fucked that up it should be 2250 x 1.167 (not divided)

So in the end it should work out to be 450.39 lb-ft at the fly... That sounds more like it.

That's close to 600 Nm, and that's taking out the drivetrain losses.... What a beast!

Nice result Butcha.  Yeah the torque line is supposed to look like that - torque falls off and HP increases. 

Notice the torque line on the runs that made the most power.  See the difference to the ones that made less. 

As you increase and hold torque for longer - you make more power.  How do you increase torque - you play with timing to make sure that the engine is getting what it needs - timing wise at each rpm point. 

solid results mate.  Meth turbo and 35 degrees of timing - gotta love that

Just going through some datalogs an am trying to make sense on what is happening. In the first one you can see the boost shoulders off at 8.5psi then creeps to 12. Making no changes bar 1 turn on the wastegate screw and the thing rockets off to 20psi but still shoulders around 8.9 psi...any ideas or theory on whats going on?

82ca968b4f490a30f5bb3e501f89ffcc.jpg

d1bd1b56d7773225d7fb1724bd79ccba.jpg

Boost building slowly after wastegate opening normally means it's too small to dump the exhaust flow to the turbine. But that doesn't explain the other run where the opposite seems to happen.

XPTCrossy knows turbos so maybe he'll use his skull and chime in with some ideas