Olive Xm

Manifold working range

Ok thanks for your reply and the exhaust info.

What about the suggestion of having your chi 2vs heads ported ? Its alot cheaper. You can do those other checks requested before whilst at it ?

Also the AFD 4v-s heads will make 600hp with the right cam and comp without crazy parts. You will need to do some slight cleaning up here and there like i said before but what heads a this price dont. They are great value i think. My AFD 4v-s heads were ported by Dave and i have a custom low to mid 260s @ 50 650lift on 108lsa dailed on 106icl solid roller on T&ds and 12.3 comp, renagate top loader and 4.11 9". Food for thought for you.

Have a think about the porting idea anyway on the current chi 2v head.

I can take them Back to chi and they will give them the cnc treatment to make them the same as the 215 2v's they do now. They told me $1100. I had already checked out that avenue, as that was my original plan then I thought I would get a price on bigger heads.

where are you located? It maybe better to get the heads hand ported by someone that knows what they are doing, as they can tailor the heads to suit your application(cam, driving/racing type etc) It probably won't make much of a difference to the cost but it will make the combo work better and if you are looking at making changes. For example with my solid roller cam crossflow project I bought head that had already been worked on (guessing it would be like comparing your heads compared to standard cast heads), I then had $600 worth of hand porting done which made the head suit my cam and car application.

there's probably not enough alloy left before hitting the edge of the port walls to do what olive xm needs.

i honestly reckon just leave it the way it is dude, and get it back on the road, if you want more power start from the ground up.

aka aftermarket block, pro240cc heads or the KAASE C400s etc etc

otherwise you are kind of wasting your time and spending money for little gain. fair enough if you wanted 750-800hp but for an extra 100-150 wack nitrous on it and be done with it.

other option would be thinner head gaskets and shaved heads, then an e85 conversion.

btw if you are still looking for a clutch, look at an RST/RXT twin plate.

What does olive xm need btw xcsedan ? You almost stepped him up to pro stock with Kaase c400c's man 700-800+ lol ???

Lets not buck heads here Lets be realistic m8 iam not trying to compete with you. You need to put you feet back on the ground i think a bit. If ol mate wants this hp well he needs to say so and give a dollar value for the upgrade. Chi 2v heads to kaase is just rubbish talk. If he's considering some afd over chi big cfm heads he wants value not a top end race car engine with big cubes. Lets hear from him now.

No one has big bucks atm XC. Shit has hit the fan in oz. Not sure what industry you work in.

i'm a little confused... you completely misread what i typed. i'm trying to save him a bit of cash.

what olive needs is more port volume so the runners don't choke trying to feed the cubes, and i can't see a way in doing it that's not overly expensive.

my point is; there is no point sinking another 5-7K on heads, cam, rocker gear etc into this motor, if you want to go that route then save up and go all out starting from scratch, otherwise just leave it the way it is and if you want more power add nitrous...... i don't see the value in spending another 5-7K to get an extra 100-150hp, and running the risk of splitting the block open, or bending a rod, etc there's going to be weak links somewhere in the line, and it'll add up to building a whole nother motor once its sorted, to me it's throwing good money away for no reason.

a good nitrous setup (the same as mine) will cost about the same amount as the 215cc head porting option (about 1200+ tuning). cheapest and safest way to make more power.

compared to a head port and cam swap, assuming nothing else gets changed, he's up for 3K if he goes a solid roller setup at a minimum, and maybe yeild another 80-100hp.

FYI there's plenty of money in AUS, as for being in competition with you, no thanks, i have more important things to spend my time on then internet pissing competitions, and i work in multiple industries.

Sort of on topic...X flow cyl head's DON'T flow well even when ported by the best compared to most V8 stuff. So we make our power and create a workable RPM band via camshaft,induction and exhaust. I know Craig Smith @ Vintage Racing Services doe's the same thing with his restricted engines and Windsors in general. The cam lies to the engine to tell it "hey look @ all this extra flow we got" thats lift and then they fit a awesome manifold carb combo and custom made killer pipes all to help the cyl heads out. 

I run what many consider to be waaaaaaaaay too big twin 2.5" exhaust on 250 cubes and it uses every bit of it. Has ITB realistically via 3x50mm webers and has modified extractors and a killer merge set up and it revs to 7500rpm. Stops making power by 6200-6400 but power doesn't fall off as abruptly as it would with out these mods so then it can use it's RPM better. Beats ALOT it faces @ the track and even ones that offer much more HP aswell.  

I know I'm not a V8 guy and I won't lie about what I do in my spare time but the above shop has shown me that even V8's suffer from deficiencies and limitations that can be over come in the same way.TBH I'm not totally convinced it hasn't got enough cyl head flow in it,maybe it could be cam shaft and exhaust related for this combo aswell ???  

Just saying...       

Hey never said I was right but when Smithy builds Eddie Abenessa (Melbournes cheapest cars XA) John Bowes Mustang Sally engines like this I listen. They dont spend $10,000 on a race engine they spend $50,000 up.

Just another option if nothing else.

Had the heads cnc'd at chi and now they are a Duggans getting the valve gear setup. They have put in a slightly larger intake valve, they had 2.07 didn't ask what the new size is. They gave it a three angle valve job, originally it was only a single and picked up 20 cfm. So now the heads flow 340 cfm at 700 thou. Chi quote 314cfm @700 on their site.

Definitely no excuse for the heads to be holding it back now. 20 cfm should be worth 30-40hp. Can't believe the valves were a single cut to start with. Seats as well?

that's what I thought, but they way I look at it it made the power they said it would in the package so it saved them money.

Edit, valve for sure not sure about seat.

Just rereading through, the old cam was dialled in at -2.

Now running a Camtech solid roller CT2021 471-108

258/262 @50 .685/.698 lift 108

Had the heads shaved to 57cc so my comp is now 11.5.

TBH I don't think 3 angle valve seat cut is good enough on a performance cyl head.That said a single cut was never going to help flow no matter what was in it.

Shame but at-least your on top of it now and it's only going to be faster. 

i have the next step down from that cam for my EFI motor.... was tossing up between the two but i just can't justify the size of that on my iron 2v's so i went the 2021-483-110

you should shit in the 600hp mark now, well and truely.

those lift figures are pre lash, what's the lash settings camtech recommended? mine are 22 and 24 thou

agreed, i would have wanted a 5 angle, or a raidiused seat cut, but its still better than what it had.

playing with e85 and don't want to destroy them until i am more comfortable with the combustion limits and knowing where they are, little bit worried about the engine grenading itself, don't mind destroying 600$ heads, but don't want to destroy 2-3 grands worth. and i want to make an ITB manifold as well at some point. mine have some pretty serious port work so they flow 245 on the intake 210 on the exhaust.