Sign in to follow this  
dvfalcon

cleveland T5 conversion

Just a enquiry, can I use a 5 speed out of a Ba 6 cylinder behind a cleveland using a modded single rail belhousing in a Xe.

Assessing the future of my Ba needs a bit of coin spent on it and not worth spending it as they are worth zip.

Thanks Dale

Looking at my single rail bell, it comes nowhere near bolting up to my T5. The bottom of the face ends way above the bottom 2 bolts of the T5 so not even any meat there to drill and tap into. That's why I got a toploader bell to do the job and even that needs a lot of stuffing around. Watch this space as I (eventually) do the conversion.

I did this conversion by cast welding two lugs for the bottom bolts onto the bellhousing, then milled the face flat, was a bit of stuffing around but it worked a treat!!!

Yeah seen something like that done elsewhere. I quite like that method, very strong. Like you say a bit of a bitch but if you have access to all the good gear it's a much cheaper alternative than buying a bellhousing that "might" do the job. I'd rather modify a factory housing that I know works.

<br />Pitty you aren't in NZ, I have a t5 mustang bell housing going spare.

As far as I know, Mustang T5s are the longer input shaft type (by 5/8", same as E-series Windsor) so only go with that type of bellhousing. They're also for a 157-tooth flywheel, whereas Clevos are 164. His box is just your garden variety 6-cyl type so has toploader/single rail input length.

As far as I know, Mustang T5s are the longer input shaft type (by 5/8", same as E-series Windsor) so only go with that type of bellhousing. They're also for a 157-tooth flywheel, whereas Clevos are 164. His box is just your garden variety 6-cyl type so has toploader/single rail input length.

So the input shaft for a ba 5 speed (6 cyl)is the length I require. Just trying to get my head around these gear boxs, and why most recommend using a eb-d gear box.

Thanks Dale

So the input shaft for a ba 5 speed (6 cyl)is the length I require. Just trying to get my head around these gear boxs, and why most recommend using a eb-d gear box.

Thanks Dale

Sorry correction, BA-onwards uses longer shaft but not sure how so. I would guess it's the 5/8" longer Mustang length and if so, that Mustang/EB V8 bellhousing would work but only if you put a 157-tooth Windsor flywheel on. Be careful as post-82 flywheels are 50-oz whereas you need a 28-oz for a Clevo, so for that option a pre-80s Windsor flywheel is the go. You're limited to the smaller Windsor clutch diameter with that flywheel. EA-ED boxes have the same length input as a single rail or top loader, hence easier fitment. Your BA gearbox might be more valuable left where it is.

Another option might be an adaptor/spacer that goes on the shorter bellhousing and uses the longer input T5 box. It changes the bolt pattern from toploader to the T5. They're available from the states for a bit over $100 US. That doesn't really help you going from a single rail pattern so some more machine work may be needed. It's so much more complicated than it needs to be, but there you go.