Sign in to follow this  
gromet88

Traction Control- AU Fairmont Ghia

Just a question, although its gonna be a b***h anyway,

AU Fairmont Ghia 5L. If you press the traction control button, or generally anywhere, really give it a boot, the traction control seems to playing up. It'll come on, flash the symbol on the dash but the car will just go to sh*t. it will lump and lump like its either flooded or about to be out of fuel, that lumpy going to die type of motion. but once to take your foot off, and slow down, it'll go off and the car is fine again.

So the question is, what does it come down too? Not big on knowledge with traction control, let alone of it on AU's.

Car drives fine otherwise and no other problems, just when you kick the c**t in the guts, traction control kicks on and it just dies out.

SO, im thinking TC Computer, do they have their own separate one away from the main computer?

Anyone had this issue before?

As far as i know that is standard behaviour for TC on AU ghias... thats what mine does. If it detects wheel slip it cuts ignition or injector pulses or something that makes it die in the arse, it cant physically lift your foot off the peddle so it has to limit engine output somehow. Thats why the BA onward has an E-throttle, ECu just shuts down the throttle to govern engine output. I hate the thing, if there was a way to set it to off by default i would do it. So many times you needs to jump out of an intersection or whatever and the car nearly stalls almost creating an accident. Id so much rather some wheel spin then a Tbone.

wow ford really dropped the ball with this idea then, because thats just f**king stupid! why would you make a car run like shit like that? My FG as you say, just cuts the power down a bit but you can turn the TC off, the AU wont let you

I always assumed that TC was controlled by the ABS system applying brake pressure to the wheel that is slipping and thus transferring power to the one with traction... makes sense to do it that way, but that was until i owned this thing. Its definitely a heart stopper when you give it the tromp to punch thru a gap and it jumps out into the middle of the intersection like a slingshot only to stumble and fall on its arse. You can turn it on and off, but each time you turn the IGN off it resets back to default of ON.

I wish there was a way to turn it off by default, its definitely causes more grief than it prevents.

Well i just press the button on the dash above the radio, a little wheel doing a burnout comes on the dash cluster and now its ready for burnouts :P

Other than that when its on if you get wheel spin the same symbol flashes up on the dash and its stunts the motor. So you are saying you can turn it off and on again and the results are the same either way?

illgive it another go today but when i did it the other day to leave the lights, i pressed the button, the light came on the dash, i got a little spin then it started flashing and it did the run like shit routine