Sign in to follow this  
XHXR6

Rust behind drivers side power mirrors switch ?

G'day Everyone, Has anyone seen anything like this happen before ? and if so does anyone have an idea on how I should treat it ? 

9cqj8Iu.jpg

Thanks, 

XHXR6

Yes, it's the top of the removable window channel.

Up to XF/XG's, they were made of a galvanised steel, and lasted well but XH's changed to a cheapo zinc plating,

and plus the high density mirror foam block, acts as a sponge, which keeps the area wet.

XD-XG's used an open cell foam block, which maybe also didn't retain the moisture as much.

Remove the window channel, and clean up the rust, via submerging the end of the channel in a chemical de-rusting solution, or sand blasting, or grinding.

Then I'd paint the area, with multiple coats of Cold Galvanising spray paint.

Make sure you get ALL the rust off it first though.

^^^Do what Dave said.

Or go to wreckers and source one from another model.

Question is do these have the same channels to those of XD-XG?

Yeah, they're all the same, except for XH ones not being protected from corrosion very well.

Awesome! Thanks Dave and Nick much appreciated, My Dad has an old XF Ute sitting outside at the moment so I could maybe take the one out of that clean it up and then fit it. Where could I source another foam block from ? Unless I can get the XF's one out in one piece. 

^^^Your welcome, pretty sure the XF will have like a sponge foam different to the foam block but it will only happen again with rust if you replace the same foam block.

Ford tried to keep the sound/wind noise out not knowing moisture would rust the metal channel.

^^^Your welcome, pretty sure the XF will have like a sponge foam different to the foam block but it will only happen again with rust if you replace the same foam block.

Ford tried to keep the sound/wind noise out not knowing moisture would rust the metal channel.

Aha, Yeah the other block is in shreds because I had to rip it off to get access to the ends of the screws that were seized :/  I didn't actually know the block was apart of the mirror assy so I might have to use the XF's one instead if it is the same. Hopefully it is :( .