Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Cruise Control Installation

After learning today that all XFs (even base models) have the plug/loom for the cruise motor included in the engine bay wiring, I've decided I'll finally get around to installing the vacuum servo in my ute and getting the cruise working.

Now I've got a Ghia/ZL dash, with the cruise pod/binnacle, and the little computer in behind the trip comp, so should the servo/motor just be plug and play once I add in the vacuum canister under the plenum and hook it up to the manifold?

The thing that concerns me the most, is ute is manual, but I don't have a clutch switch to disengage the cruise. However the dash (and dash loom) are from an auto ZL, so will that make any difference?

The only plug thats installed in a pov pack that's  used for cruise is the one to the trans loom, which every car has anyway. All the rest of the cruise loom is exclusive. High end might be different. Don't worry about clutch switch, I ran XdEE for years without one, but make sure you run double brake light switches, and source the power supply from a good reliable point preferably close to the battery or even relayed for maximum reliability. If you don't, the cruise will drop out when any extra current is drawn elsewhere.

Well I tried installing the cruise today, got it all bolted up and plugged it in.

Didn't work though. Had a look under the dash ad I've only got one brake switch, could that be the problem?

How do I add another one into the circuit? Just screw it into the hole there and plug it in? (Being high series dash I have a plug for the wire.

Adding another switch isn't going to help. They're wired in parallel as a safety precaution only, so if one fails, the other one hopefully still works. If your brake lights work now, that isn't the issue. I'll try and dig up a diagram.