Sign in to follow this  
xdfairmont79

column auto conversion

hey lads, just got a question, i have a column auto setup from my xd fairmont, im putting it in my xf fairmont. at the moment it is a floor shift auto. with an adjustable column. and power steering. will my column fit? and work right? the xd fairmont also had power steering. 

also, the xf came with three stock looking auto gearboxes. is there a way to test the gearboxes? cause i want a reasonable one to put in obviously (has no gearbox in it at the moment) and then put my column shift in. and cruise like the old school kinda person i am haha. let me know! 

cheers. 

Dont know if the column will fit, for sure, but the wheel base is the same with much the same gear in XD/E/F's.  Reckon if ya swap all the powersteering hoses and brackets, ya should be right.

Never heard of anyone actually trying to convert to column shift..........

Check the fluid in the tranny, first. If it's brown, ditch it. If it smells burnt, ditch it. Dont know if there is any way to 'check' the trans without running it.?

Any auto trans gurus on site?

take a look at both set ups before swapping. if the plates are the same, shouldnt be a problem apart from obviously the shifter. 

im with bear, its hard to tell. ive never converted back, always converted to floor personally

I've just pulled a column shift auto out of my XF, if you need anything let me know mate, otherwise it'll probably get scrapped.

I won't use any of it in the future, I'm not a fan of them at all, so I'll only charge postage for any of it, except the box and bellhousing (column bells have the extra bit for the linkages to bolt on), box is a recently serviced Borgy 51 series.