Sign in to follow this  
XFChris

LPG woes - 250 xflow carb

I've been having intermittent issues with my Dual fuel XF ute ever since I bought it.

-Firstly, the car sometimes won't start when switched to LPG (on purchase it wasn't running on fuel)

-If the car is left idling for a while on LPG, it sometimes cuts out, and may or may not be able instantly restart on LPG

-There's been a few times where it has cut out on coming to a stop, and once where it died while moving , all on LPG

-Idle speed on LPG is significantly lower than idle speed on Petrol

The gas system was installed in 1996 and has not been retested AFAIK.

Would the cutting out be related to the gas safety switch? I have the type pictured here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LPG-Safety-switch-Peel-/330960572261?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0ec98f65

And LPG idle speed wound down too low on the converter?

Sounds like the converter is playing up. They fill up with tar-like residue and give all sorts of dramas. They're rebuildable depending on the brand, sometimes cheaper to buy new. Must be installed by qualified LPG mechanic.<br /><br />Try adjusting idle mixture first though.

Yup, could be. Could be many things, unfortunately.  May be a vaccuum leak, 6 cyl manifolds are prone to warp. Air getting in between mixer ring and carby?  Low coolant level, does the mixer have frost on it? Got good earth connections on the switch and solenoids?

I know this doesn't help.

(Petrol will always idle faster than LPG)

Was idling at 1400 on fuel and 1000 on gas this morning, I wound down idle to 650 on gas.

I'll check earths on the safety switch, next, at times it doesn't light up with ignition on. I'm hoping the problem is an easy fix like that

The safety switch should only light up for a second to prime the system when you initially turn the key. It only then comes on after it senses ignition pulses (cranking/running)... any other time, it's off. This is the whole point of the switch: to shut the gas off when the engine is stopped.

Haha you all say its idleing higher on petrol, my dual duel injected xf is the other way around. Always idles lower on petrol.

Got a different converter on now and had it tuned properly. idle speed is pretty much same between the two fuels now.

The cutting out was due to a faulty LPG safety switch, which has since been replaced.