Sign in to follow this  
XTREME KARTS XF

Clutch cable drama's......again

Hey fella's

Back in 2011 4 months after i did the manual conversion i broke a clutch cable (pedal was too high and stretched) well almost 3 years later i broke another one. (both cables broke at the clutch fork end)

Has anyone had issues with routing the cable though the crossmember on unleaded models? (Post 1986) everytime i i route it though it always kinks the shit out of it.

Pic's of other ways of routing the cable would be greatly appreciated :)

This cable was new when i bought it, pedal height was correct too!!!

1661001_828407590518995_1868538674_n.jpg

1619384_828407623852325_632025494_n.jpg

Also, has anyone had clutch forks crack on them? When i changed the box over i noticed a crack in the clutch fork (where that rubber hook sits in the fork on unleaded models)

You don't have anything chaffing on the cable at all?

I didn't have a problem routing my new one through the xmember when I had to replace it after snapping one. Just bit by bit and poking through I think.

I've had my clutch fork bend, and cable slip out, don't think it's cracked though? Can't remember. Cable it held on by a heap of garden wire though to stop it slipping out of the fork.

Through the cross memeber is the way to go.....having a loop of cable loosely hanging benath the sump = massive snag hazard. The bracket that maintains alignment into the bell housing is a must. The judicious use cable ties helps to maintain the radius of any curves the cable needs to make. Failure at the throw out lever or pedal end is I believe a physics issue. The pedal or throw-out lever fulcrum operates in a circular motion about its pivot but the cable run essentially maintains its position. The upshot is that the cable is forced to bend just near the terminating bits - repeated bending with each pedal depression untimately fatigues the cable until it beaks...they never break mid run. Given this circular motion is greater at the pedal end of the cable...I'd expect it to snap more often there. It's realy a design or materials issue you don't have much control over. As long as the cable maintains its lube and no undue forces (clutches needing large operating forces) you get decent life out of a cable...carry a spare! They can be done on the roadside with basic tools. Been there before.....