Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Is it time for a new clutch?

I'm guessing it's time for a new clutch.

Its getting harder to get the ute into gears (specifically 1st, 2nd and R). I've tried adjusting the clutch cable to no real avail, it just ends up not going into gear if I adjust it.

Does the clutch slip noticeably?

A good way to test is to find a spot to park, handbrake on, put it into a high gear (3rd and up should do), then slowly let out the clutch. If the car stalls you're good.

I've heard the clutch cables can stretch too.

if you adjust it one way and it doesnt go into gear, try adjusting the other way. However, if its slipping, its probably time for a new clutch anyway.

I dont see clutch slip and difficulty getting into gear being related.

Clutch slip would be caused by a worn clutch or cable adjusted incorrectly so that its releasing a bit all the time. Difficulty getting into gear would be caused by cable adjusted incorrectly so that its not releasing enough or bad syncros/fluid.

If I adjust it from where it is now, one way makes it harder (almost impossible) to get into gear. The other way increases slippage.

Pedal is rather high Mark, higher than the brake pedal.

That said I don't have the clutch pedal stop that they're meant to have.

If I adjust it from where it is now, one way makes it harder (almost impossible) to get into gear. The other way increases slippage.

Pedal is rather high Mark, higher than the brake pedal.

That said I don't have the clutch pedal stop that they're meant to have.

Try lowering the pedal a little bit, i bought a new cable for mine and im still fucking around with the adjustment.

Clutch pedal stop?

Looks like you're up for a new clutch kit unfortunately. Such a minute adjustment between slipping and not disengaging means your diaphragm fingers are worn and flexing, instead of moving the pressure plate. Now's your chance to put in something decent and get your flywheel skimmed and lightened. Mine cost 600 bucks to be lightened, skimmed and drilled for 6-bolt heavy duty clutch (included in price also).

i prefer to buy my stuff direct from the guy sunbury uses, highway brake and clutch in campbellfield, they are generally more expensive but clutch industries do a good kit for mid 200s i think