XFChris

Handbrake issues - XF drum rear end

I've had an issue with the handbrake on a XF ute (drum brake rear end) ever since I bought it.

Handbrake wouldn't hold the car at all, so I worked on the adjuster (under the drivers seat), which was near maxed out. I pretty much maxed it out. The handbrake will hold if i pull the handbrake cable without pressing the orange button, but if i press the orange button then pull the handbrake, then the handbrake won't hold the car on a slope.

Can the handbrake also be adjusted at the drums? Or is it likely I'd need new shoes or possibly drums?

I've had both drums off, drums look good on the inside, lots of meat on the shoes and no leaks from the wheel cylinders.

20140205_102444.jpg

20140205_102606.jpg

I also adjusted the shoes as the drums came off very easily.

No effect on the handbrake though... I'll have to replace the cable, who is a good supplier these days?

Hey mate do you need the rear section of the cable or the front? I've got a rear that I don't need anymore. And I noticed that your adjuster doesn't have the spring loaded stopper on it that stops the adjuster from winding back off by itself over time. Will show you a photo of mine if I can upload one.

dydujeqy.jpgyqy2erer.jpg

Can you see how the bracket sits against the adjuster that I have removed at the bottom. I noticed that your brakes didn't have the cable that keeps spring loaded pressure against this stopper. You can see my gold coloured radius bracket at the top of the left shoe which holds the cable in place. Hope this helps.

Not sure what part I'd need Ando, car is going for a RWC check tomorrow, so they'll tell me what parts I need hopefully and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the tip about the spring loaded cable+bracket, I might need to hunt for the parts at wreckers soon.

I've got a complete drum brake setup mate, I've put disk brakes on my ute and don't need the drum setup. They were new wheel cylinders 12 months ago along with new shoes, if you don't have any luck with the wreckers let me know and I could post something to you.