Sign in to follow this  
adrianphu123

Brake noise after parked

Hey guys

Im getting a bit of squeal from the rear rotors but only in the first half minute or so after sitting for about half a day. Its not constant squealing, but almost like a high spot on the rotor and you get a short squeal each time it passes. The squeals are louder after sitting with the ebrake applied as opposed to sitting with the ebrake off.

After driving for about half a minute, everythings fine, no pedal pulsation.

Im running ED calipers and RDA rotors which are less than 6 months old on the rear. I'll relubricate the slide tracks between the bracket and pad first but any other suggestions?

thanks

adrian

G'day mate, sounds like your calliper lever(s) are sticking. You need to undo the 13mm bolt that holds the hand brake lever to the square peg and then remove the rubber dust seal behind it. Spray some brake cleaner in there next to the shaft and turn it a little bit with some pliers, then spray it some more. Keep doing this until it runs out clean.

Squirt some rubber-friendly lube in there like ATF or rubber grease, chuck the seal back in and then the lever & bolt. Return spring goes on last with a bit of muscle.

Couple of points:

•Don't rotate the shaft too much, as it's on a helix, you'll have a shit time trying to dig it back out or have to push the piston back while winding it in.

•make sure your return springs aren't stretched and are getting maximum pull: ie there is tension all the way back to rest.

What kind of vehicle??

Does it run internal handbrake shoes?  I've seen brand new DBA rotors have runout, straight out the box. Do you rear pads have anti rattle springs?

Try driving in reverse, and pull the handbrake on, should push the brakes back into line.

its an XF falcon with ED diff and brakes. It doesnt have internal handbrake shoes, it has a handbrake integrated with the calipers. The thing is, it didnt do it until about a week ago so somethings different to when i put it together 6 months ago. I'll keep looking at it.

This may sound stupid mate but I have noticed on my xf that superfine surface rust can grow on the rotors in a matter of hours overnight especially if the car is outside or in damp conditions. Moisture seems to build up around the disk pads and grows to the rotor hence the high spot that rubs with every rotation of the wheel. If I get the squealing noise after the car sitting for a few days, I just rest my foot on the brake as I drive forward for a few seconds and it usually rubs the crap off and stops the noise. Good luck