Sign in to follow this  
blackxt

Raising a box

I've been toying with the idea of building a camping rig. I've got some good bit laying about , I want a XE or xd station wagon and I'm wanting to lift it . I'll just make coil spacers for the front , has any one done this before . How high could you go .any other crazy ideas would be good. I would love to fit a 30 inch tyre. <br /><br />Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk now Free<br /><br />

I looked into this with an ef wagon i had. The limit was around 2inches of lift before you start having trouble and need custom everything. The country pack had raised spring which were around 1inch higher than standard I was led to believe . Wheel articulation in the rear will be the killer. As one wheel drops into a rut the other is going to be shoved up into the guard and with running bigger tyres it will rub. If you stay a narrower tyre it will help but trying to find a good tyre in a 225 width and 30inch diameter may be a challange.

Yeah the chassis idea we thought about . There was mention about f100 transfer and hilux diffs . Make some front rails and convert the front to leaf spring. I have been on the look out for a fair while . I was thinking 2.5 inches up would be the limits . That and the front guards cut up might fit a decent tyre. I would be happy with just some more ground clearance . I've got a really good 351 there and a c10 auto and 3.23 EB wagon diff just sitting there for something I find. <br /><br />Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk now Free<br /><br />

I bought my XE wagon as a 6 cyl and it had super-high springs all round. It was stupidly heavy in the steering, particularly as you wound on more lock, so I'm convinced it had geometry problems. After throwing a V8 in it, with the same coils in it, the steering's actually lighter (yep!). So beware of stuffing around with coil heights.

I swapped out the hi-set leaves for ute ones minus a leaf and it sits sweet.

If you want some extra height, go for some 70-series 205s on 15" rims. Popular on small-med SUVs.