Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

BW40 K/D adjustment

Need to get the kickdown adjusted properly on my wagon, heard that wrongly adjusted kd cables on BW40s can shortern their life?

I'd rather not kill the box.

Its an EFI motor too.

And I'm also wondering if my cable is missing something, the workshop manual mentions a plastic spacer or something that should go at the end of the thread here.

IMG_20131112_125755_zps1a429b5c.jpg

Pretty sure that cable is rooted...those two bits should be joined together, from memory. (but, I drink a lot....)

Even if they're not, they should be lined up, parallel, so the cable doesn't bind on the side of the outer sheath.

yeah i say that cables fucked too, buy a new one. you'll need to drop the trans sump to change the kickdown cable though, maybe worth servicing the trans too, filter kit n all. it the fluid still looks nice n fresh and doesnt smell burnt could try and save it and re-use it.

FFS, I had a KD cable from a ZL last year that I chucked cos I didn't think I'd ever need it.

The bands in the gearbox need adjusting and I've had it recommended that the valve body be removed and cleaned (gearbox say around for a few years, its out of Nova's NOTAV8).

I'd rather keep it a properly functioning auto, if I wanted to drive it manually I'd do a T5 swap.

I'll still need to know how to adjust the cable properly when I get a new one?

Does the cable run from the mechanical cam on the carby, or from a vacuum diaphragm.?  The Kickdown can be set up to your driving style. How hard you press the throttle, or how much vacuum the engine pulls.