Ando81

Weber carby leak

Hi all, just noticed my xf crossflow ute is leaking fuel out of the carby near where the fuel line goes into the carby. It is dual fuel and as soon as I put it onto petrol this morning I could smell it. It seems to be leaking from higher than where the fuel goes into the carby. When I run it on gas it is ok with no leaks but as soon as I run it on petrol it leaks. It runs fine on petrol and idles good so I cannot explain why it is leaking. Needle and seat possibly or maybe the float is buggered? I usually run it on petrol once a month without issues. I have not taken off the air cleaner or anything yet was wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction first. Thanks fellas

most Dual Fuel cars suffer from needle and seat sticking.. something you can try is switching it to the middle(fuel off) position on the switch for a bit and then switch back to petrol.

can also tap on the front of the carby near the fuel intake with something metal... this OFTEN seats the needle and seat/float.

rarely but possible is the float sucks itself inside out almost (usually only in summer) and they make a plastic float for some carbs for this reason.  if you cant fix it simply by tapping on it you will need to remove the carby top cover and check the float / needle and seat.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE(20 years of webber X series on gas) they hate petrol once driven on gas, this is usually only from dried out diaphramns but anything could happen really.

its a potential fire hazzard, so dont dilly dally about looking into it.

Cheers fellas, yeah I shat myself and went for the fire extinguisher when I smelt the fuel this morning. I thought it might run rough if the needle had stuck but I've been wrong before :) will check it out after work tomorrow. Until then...... Lpg it is !!

Finally fixed the fuel leak on the weber today. I found the needle had marks on it so I replaced it with a new one and new seat. Haven't seen an all brass needle into an all brass seat before. I just put a standard rubber tipped needle back in with the new seat. Seems to run fine with no leaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jesus, what is it with this bastard leaking fuel? I had put on a new mechanical fuel pump on my ute about 15 months ago and now it's leaking fuel out of the lower rubber seal on the pump. It looks to have Phillips head screws going through the seal so I was wondering if they might just need a tighten. The ute runs on mostly lpg and just returns the fuel to the tank when running on gas. Could the tank return line be blocked maybe or could it simply be that the screws are not tight enough. P.s. the seal is damp all around the seal, not just wet in the one spot!