Sign in to follow this  
Jackal

Help Wanted! XF/XG Scuttle/Air vent Leak

Hi,

Have came across a problem with my XG van, of which I had the same problem in my old XF van:

LEAK - which appears to be coming from a build up of water in the scuttle, which then drips into the drivers side foot air vent, and then onto either:

A. Your foot, if you're driving, or

B. The floor.

Wonder if any x-falcon owners have came across the same thing, and can let me know where exactly the leak is coming from, and more importantly, how to fix it!!

When I stripped down the old XF - dash, wiper motor and all - had a good look for the source, but could only deduce that it was getting into the foot air vent, the top of which was rusted to f8ck. There didn't seem to be any rust in the scuttle itself. Obviously this is a bit of a pain on rainy days. Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Billy.

hey mate,

if you have not fixed your leaky plenum yet there is a few ways I know of to fix it.

you can un-pic the plenum spotwelds and cut out and treat the rusted area and then weld a new section in and seal the metal with a anti rust paint like por 15 then paint over that if you like.

the dodgy way of doing this is to remove as much rust and flakes as you can treat the area with a killrust then paint with por 15 anti rust then squirt a heap of sikaflex around the rusted area place some flexable plastic ( thicker than a zip lock sandwich) bag over the holes and add more sikaflex over the top.

take a look at my build thread to see what it looks like when you unpic a plenum its pretty easy im not a panel beater just trying to help my old xf had the same issue it use to suck driving with plastic bags over my shoes lol 

unfortunatly very common in the X series to rust out there. If your handy you can do what Scottly said. Otherwise its wet feet.

Noticed my mates RX2 has a easy access plenum that opens up. Wish the X Series had that.

Thanks for that advice guys, much appreciated. Had a good look inside the plenum, looks OK, but obviously hard to see everywhere without taking it off. Will let you know how I get on!!