mcfly94

Installing new steering box and pitman arm

Got a new box on its way, got a new pitman arm and got a nolathane coupling kit on the way.

Atm I do not get the same full lock on both sides, and I think the pitman arm has been installed in the wrong spot, is there a way to make sure it installed in the correct spot?

My guess would be to install the box with the pitman arm off and turn it full lock one way, then full lock the other way and count the number of turns. Then turn it back exactly half and line up the pitman arm with the wheels pointed straight ahead and the steering wheel in the correct position. Then off for a wheel alignment!

depending on the severity, if you do not get spot on the same, lock to lock, your tie rod adjusters are probably not centered. If you adjust both tie rod ends to the left the same amount, the wheels will still be dead straight and parallel, but the drag link will move to the left and so will your steering wheel. Taking you out of center and creating a difference between full lock left to right. This is what happens after multiple wheel alignments with dodgy shops. Each time they adjust it a little more over. each time. Until eventually someone pulls the steering wheel off and moves it around a tooth on the spline. The situation keeps amplifying itself until you end up with sloppy center steering when your going straight down the road. Feels like bump steer. and you cannot turn as sharp one way, as you can the other.

Don't quote me but i'm pretty sure there is only 1 place to install the pitman arm as it has a keyway. You will see anyway, when you assemble it.

From memory there is a mark or a dot on the coupling flange that you gotta line up. Pull the cap out of your steering wheel and the NUT! Under the nut you'll see a mark on the steering column shaft end. make sure the small mark is at the 12 o-clock position. Then before you bolt the box in make sure you count the turns left-right and go in the middle.

If the box is in good nick, at the most center the box will be "tight" As you go left, or right, of total center the box will get play between the input and output. This is normal and a design feature of these steering boxes.

Good luck.

depending on the severity, if you do not get spot on the same, lock to lock, your tie rod adjusters are probably not centered. If you adjust both tie rod ends to the left the same amount, the wheels will still be dead straight and parallel, but the drag link will move to the left and so will your steering wheel. Taking you out of center and creating a difference between full lock left to right.

Don't quote me but i'm pretty sure there is only 1 place to install the pitman arm as it has a keyway. You will see anyway, when you assemble it.

From memory there is a mark or a dot on the coupling flange that you gotta line up. Pull the cap out of your steering wheel and the NUT! Under the nut you'll see a mark on the steering column shaft end. make sure the small mark is at the 12 o-clock position. Then before you bolt the bod in make sure you count the turns left-right and go in the middle. If the box is in good nick at the most center the box will be "tight" As you go left or right of total center the box will get play between the input and output. This is normal and a design feature of these steering boxes.

Good luck.

I got my pitman arm infront of me and I can see 4.

yeah good point, but I though maybe I could get it on three of 4, centre, to the left or to the right, was hoping there was a way to line the pitman arm on the box to make sure it isn't in the wrong spot.

As long as the box is centered. the steering wheel is centered, then you put the pitmant arm on where it lines up with the drag link. You'll be fine. the Box couldn't move 90 degrees left or right at the output, it only turns about 60 degrees either way.

yeah, that's where the keyway is done, every 90 degrees and its quiet a bit of bloody movement, and I think I should only be able to get it on one way.

I changed mine from power to manual. Different box and pitman. I bolted the box in, the column only lines up with the box one way. Then I sat in the car worked out the lock to lock I think it was about 5.25 turns. Then halved it. Cable tied the wheel at that position to the indicator stalk. Then eyed the wheels straight. Hoped back under the car and very carefully slid the pitman arm back on the box spline. I then had to reposition the steering wheel on the column spline. Drives straight as a nail as I didn't adjust any tie rods or anything