iamaelephant

Timing cover lower seal, without rubber gasket?

I'm replacing the timing cover and crank seal. I found this post on another forum that indicates I can get away without using the lower rubber seal. I gave this a crack and it's leaking worse than when I started. It's NOT leaking from the corners, just the lower sump surface.

Has anyone used this method successfully? I'm guessing I just didn't use enough high temp sealer. I have the rubbers so I can use them if I need to, but I had a wanker of a time getting them in without lowering the sump.

Yeah, not convinced.   I did mine last year on the XA, absolute bitch to get the rubber seal in place, while holding the timing cover, lining up the dowel pins, etc..  I sanded off the small lip on the outside of the rubber, (made it thinner) and it went in easier. VERY clean is the key.!  Paint thinners or acetone to remove all oil residue. Silastics/sealants wont stick to oil. Also, aftermarket sumps don't fit the best, prefer old originals.

yeah we have all done it,learn the hard way,it is sooo easy to loosen the sump nuts and just lower the lip down a bit to get the seal in and cover fits perfect,long way round is the saftest and always works method,like 2 days ago a bit of bird shit landed on my car,so i detailed the whole car😎