Searley

AU sohc

Hello Fordys, Can an AU motor be fitted to an XH?? Is it straightforward? I suspect there are some important differences. Any Adivice & Guidance always Appreciated. Have a Good Happy safe & Sane Day.Searley.

1 hour ago, Searley said:

Hello Fordys, Can an AU motor be fitted to an XH?? Is it straightforward? I suspect there are some important differences. Any Adivice & Guidance always Appreciated. Have a Good Happy safe & Sane Day.Searley.

I think in @Thom  Thoms 4.0 thread, it mentioned the air con pump won't fit with the XH log manifold(intake) 

sump is bulkier (alloy) and may require the front brace on the k frame moved also ? 
see if Thom replies,  he had similar in his XH once. 

Thanks deankxf,  Nah thats enough to say "Don't Buy it". A good example of a rebuilt AU came up on FB marketplace for $500 and it was Tempting. Not buying on impulse anymore. Thx.  _ _ Anyway while I'm here I got myself a Scanner OBD2 Type. The Plug In fitting fits the RTV Proper But and Big Buts the fitting from the XH is sort of different like more squarer  than the Universal shape of the Scanner. What fitting is that? Is that for an OBD1?  Is there an Adaptor? Thanks Guys.

10 minutes ago, Searley said:

What fitting is that? Is that for an OBD1? 

no idea about scanners at all, but i do know many can work with other cars with a simple adapter (the one my mate used,  had about 10 adapters with it)

Hi deankxf, I'm  Celebrating that today after many Moons I've finally found a Scanner that not only Fits the XH Socket But is Specifically made for the Ford XF XH and the E Series. Made by T.I. Performance for about $270. Yes there is a God!

EA EB ED EF EL Falcon Diagnostic Code Reader – T.I. Performance 2.pdf

wonder if that's the one @SPArKy_Dave has?

5 hours ago, Searley said:

Hello Fordys, Something is reminding me of a saying  _ _ " Don't Give Up _ __Its Never Too Late!_ _ _ Something Will Turn Up _ _ Somewhere & Sometime"

an EF/EL engine is a direct fit to My understanding (change the intake) and air con bracket with your current one and bolt it in. 

does it need changing anyway? they are usually good for 500,000kms with a head resurface and reasonably well looked after. 

Hi deankxf. I don't think there's anything really wrong with the motor in it(129,0000 . But you see on Marketplace a bloke had an AU with a Fresh Tickford Head, an MLS gasket, ARP Head Studs and a few other goodies attached for $500  _ It was Tempting _ _ But until I heard about the other Dramas. Nah I'll keep what I've got. But on my "Bucket List" is to do "Thoms SOHC Mods" with another motor. So far I've done about 9,000 in 9 years So I don't think I'll wear it out. Cheers.

But on my "Bucket List" is to do "Thoms SOHC Mods" with another motor.

on My bucket list, is the moto sparkydave lives by.. keep it stock, and work on more important/enjoyable things ;) (you'd barely be able to enjoy the power of a stock EF these days if you were being a hoon, fuel prices and cops and the risk of breaking something else is always in the back of My mind)

Hello Fordys , Yes Lets Face it? When I look back on my Younger and Not-Wiser Car Days I sometime shrivel with fear & embarrassment that I'm still Alive and Plus I did'nt Kill anybody else. _ _ _ and I was'nt a Hoon_ _ _ These Days I like going @ the speed limit coz I want to get home to a Nice Hot Dinner and Chill out and be in a Cozy Warm Bed_ _ not in Hospital or being Grilled @ the Cop Shop _ _ Do it Safe and Happy _ Enjoy Driving & Life.

I think in [mention=43]Thom[/mention]  Thoms 4.0 thread, it mentioned the air con pump won't fit with the XH log manifold(intake) 
sump is bulkier (alloy) and may require the front brace on the k frame moved also ? 
see if Thom replies,  he had similar in his XH once. 

You've got it, about the only other thing is the bellhousing, it will bolt up to the block but the sump won't bolt to the bellhousing unless you swap to an au bellhousing, I recently found an in car video on an old sd card of my ute circa 2008 after it had the hot 4.0 but before it was tuned, I don't think i ever uploaded it back then because it was a zero to 180 pull, it was quite capable of getting ot of its own way and it lived through 180,000ks of p plater abuse

22 hours ago, deankxf said:

they are usually good for 500,000kms with a head resurface and reasonably well looked after. 

The 03/98 XH panelvan I'm cleaning up atm, has 566,000km on the original bottom end (and transmission too looks like).

Cyl head was done at 520,000km-ish.

It seems quite perky, and a COLD compression test showed an even 165psi across all cylinders.

It's the highest km XH I've ever seen.

The 03/98 XH panelvan I'm cleaning up atm, has 566,000km on the original bottom end (and transmission too looks like).
It seems quite perky, and a COLD compression test showed an even 165psi across all cylinders.

The au short motor in my ute was from an au taxi at pick a part and had 885 000ks on it, when I tore it down for a re ring and bearing it was still within factory tolerances

Hello Fordys, All I can say is Wow about the Hi-Mileage. Its not the Main Steel Components that wear out is it?? Usually the smaller fiddly diddly things that break down.But what they say about Taxis don't turn off only for a service and to refuel.And most Taxis run on Gas or Used to(can't explain how they get hi-mileage from Gas when Mr. Civvy St burns his Heads out) What about the rest of the car? Was the handleing loose and sloppy? Thanks for the Posts Guys Mucho Enjoyable.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:48 PM, Thom said:

You've got it, about the only other thing is the bellhousing, it will bolt up to the block but the sump won't bolt to the bellhousing unless you swap to an au bellhousing, I recently found an in car video on an old sd card of my ute circa 2008 after it had the hot 4.0 but before it was tuned, I don't think i ever uploaded it back then because it was a zero to 180 pull, it was quite capable of getting ot of its own way and it lived through 180,000ks of p plater abuse

17 hours ago, Thom said:
20 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

The au short motor in my ute was from an au taxi at pick a part and had 885 000ks on it, when I tore it down for a re ring and bearing it was still within factory tolerances

You must be Quite a Character  Most Guys go to the Wreckers and try hard to get a motor with the lowest mileage & wear. You get the bits that should have been Melted and Resurrect them to Glory. Just goes to show!

6 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

The XH seems to have a reco'd steering rack and power steering pump, plus newer lower ball joints,

but all the shock absorbers appear to be original still.

That's Good ! One day at the Woolworths Checkout ta Guy that shares my interest in Fords & XFs was raveing about how he just bought a Ding Free 1 owner XF real cheap deceased estate been sitting in the Garage for a decade and the family wanted to let it go. He drove from Adelaide to Victor Harbor about 75 kms on a sometimes pretty precarious journey even in a Good newer car. He was emphasizing How the car just Floated along in the Wind rising up and going down with a slow rhythm. And when you turned the steering wheel sometimes there was no feel or movement So you'd try the other way to correct yourself just in case, I said "Your Lucky you made it Home alive" FFS!

15 hours ago, Searley said:

the car just Floated along in the Wind rising up and going down with a slow rhythm. And when you turned the steering wheel sometimes there was no feel or movement

reminds me of normal x-series steering... 🤔@deankxf

When I drove the $300 Grandpa XF ute back from near Maldon, (in the dark and rain mind you), it was extremely taxing to steer.

Terrible even for an XF...

I wasn't comfortable going over 80.

A look over in the following days, revealed an idler arm with no bushing left on one end.

Some further investigation, showed it'd been off the rd for almost 10yrs!

AK7aPaAFTkPsnXgVMV1zkr46ePnC4wW1zyko1Ipy

You must be Quite a Character  Most Guys go to the Wreckers and try hard to get a motor with the lowest mileage & wear. You get the bits that should have been Melted and Resurrect them to Glory. Just goes to show!
What can I say, I like to make things faster than they were stock for minimal cost, taxi engines are usually a very good starting point for a performance build as they usually never completely cool down and if they have been regularly serviced about the only part of them that usually need attention is the rings

On 11/25/2023 at 11:38 PM, SPArKy_Dave said:

reminds me of normal x-series steering... 🤔@deankxf

When I drove the $300 Grandpa XF ute back from near Maldon, (in the dark and rain mind you), it was extremely taxing to steer.

Terrible even for an XF...

I wasn't comfortable going over 80.

A look over in the following days, revealed an idler arm with no bushing left on one end.

Some further investigation, showed it'd been off the rd for almost 10yrs!

My mates first car over 30yrs ago, a ZG fairlane bought from a car yard with RWC had stuff so rooted, it chewed tyres out on the front in very little time, and what we didn't know then would have been how to check what was loose or stuffed.
when you looked at it from the front, it was towed out and negative camber.. put it in reverse and back up 6 feet and the wheels would toe in and camber to approx zero.. 
you can imagine the driving experience of that one lol. 

Hello Fordys, Ha-Ha _ _ _ Just reading these stories makes me Larf _ _ Coz we've all been thru these experiences and Miraculously Lived to Tell the Tale. Grandpa was probably so shit scared of driveing that XF Ute he just left it in the garage and left it. As for the ZG Fairlane _ _ and they are'nt small & light. Bloody Car Yards & 2nd hand car salesman selling an obvious deathtrap to a young man in his prime with his whole life before him! It could've been a young family man with a wife and 2 Bubs needing a bigger car! Should've been used in a Ford Versus Holden Demolition Derby! FFS! I've driven some Scary Lemons when I was Younger and Fearless But that would take more than I've got. Nerves of Steel Cables and Balls made of Titanium_ _ and some Genetics borrowed from Evel Knievel. Have a Happy Safe Sane Day.

5 hours ago, Searley said:

As for the ZG Fairlane _ _ and they are'nt small & light

i wouldn't be surprised if it's smaller and lighter than than AU wagon, and with less power. (6 cyl EA wagon would have been pretty similar in power and overall weight i reckon)

yeah that car yard did a lot of shonky stuff as with many at the time, rust? we can buff that out, grinder, bog paint. cross fingers it's good for a month or so

the other thing was the finance companies they dealt with, My mate due to no credit history, $4000 car with $200 trade in (they probably bumped the trade in value up and increased the sale price to get the finance through.. and was like $10k by the time it was paid off and the car didn't last the life of the loan ..(P plater plus abuse = trashed car in 12 months)