Rayinsydney

Shocks for lowered wagon

Hello, 

A question on shocks, I've lowered my XE Wagon, 2" and so far have kept it with standard shocks, it rides ok but is quite crash and bang on any bumps etc.

I've not had a Falcon before this one so not sure what to expect, is this normal or should it be 'softer' , if so, what the recommendation for changing the shocks out with some more suited to the new ride height?

Any recommendations are appreciated, 

cheers, 

Ray.

3 hours ago, Rayinsydney said:

Hello, 

A question on shocks, I've lowered my XE Wagon, 2" and so far have kept it with standard shocks, it rides ok but is quite crash and bang on any bumps etc.

I've not had a Falcon before this one so not sure what to expect, is this normal or should it be 'softer' , if so, what the recommendation for changing the shocks out with some more suited to the new ride height?

Any recommendations are appreciated, 

cheers, 

Ray.

the rears are fine with standard shocks

the fronts are best with big bore lowered shocks (ultima brand on ebay are the cheapest that seem to be ok) 

i've always used second hand big bore pedders and loved them, koni even better if you have the budget. 

what springs did you fit? cutting stock springs = in the bin

buy king or pedders etc, 
you don't end up with much bump stop clearance with even LOW springs (approx 2" ) and Super Low you'll have to cut the bump stop down a bit also in most cases. . super lows = bump steer, (handles like a billy cart in my opinion) so LOWs are the lowest i ended up going in the end. 

lowering blocks in the back are fine at 2" generally with no issue with standard shocks. 

1 hour ago, Rayinsydney said:

Cheers for that, front springs are new Kings, I'll have  a look on Ebay for the shocks then,  much appreciated.

what height are the new kings? LOW or Superlow  (2" sounds like low which should drive well)

some wheel aligners wouldn't even guarantee the tyres wouldn't scrub with superlows fitted back in the day. 

did you check all other parts of the suspension also and get a good alignment (ideally pedders in my experience )

10 hours ago, Rayinsydney said:

they are Kings Lows , the thing drives fine, just quite crashy over potholes etc

If u can, share a pic of the wagon, showing how it sits.

Sounds like it's smacking the front bump stops, and/or the shocks are running out of travel.

4 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

If u can, share a pic of the wagon, showing how it sits.

Sounds like it's smacking the front bump stops, and/or the shocks are running out of travel.

King Lows with crap standard shocks ots very likely hitting bump stops .if the bump stops have been cut its likely bottom out the shock also 

19 hours ago, deankxf said:

King Lows with crap standard shocks ots very likely hitting bump stops .if the bump stops have been cut its likely bottom out the shock also 

Just do what all the kool kids do - have it sitting on the bump stops.

Can't run out of travel, if there is none...

IMG_2782.jpg

8 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Left to Right - Koni 82-1742SP4, Pedders Comfort Gas, Genuine Ford, Pedders Sportsrider

can see the FATNESS of the koni and the pedders, this makes all the difference, CONTROLLING THE SPRING. the white pedders i've had in a standard height car and they are great for stock height upgrade in my opinion

8 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

@CHESTNUTXE's replica ESP -

WP_20160606_14_39_01_Pro_zpsse1lfbsf.jpg

bump steer city,. 
if you drive it in Melburbs and on the highway it will not be a pleasure to drive compared to LOWS. (also looks too low to Me also)

rear was fine with just sport low springs,but add a fmx,full iron 351c and sport low went to super low with all that weight,i ended up putting std v8 front king springs back in it and raised it just enough for a better ride and still looked a bit low,more like esp ride height,and yeah when i checked the bump rubbers they were hitting the car,so i chopped them a bit ,it did work but like i said i went back to std v8 king at the front and it was a lot better.

with my new chestnut sedan im keeping the 4.1 and will replace all 4 springs in the sport low with good qlty shocks ,the 6cyl kings are different to the v8 ones,i remember one thing i did with the old chestnut car was fit v8 front springs while it was still a 4.1 and it wasnt heavy enough to look low at the front but once v8 was fitted it dropped .