Part way through a V8 conversion in my XC wagon. Ordered a 31 spline yoke to match the FMX however the yoke is wider at the uni end than the old yoke and tailshaft. Too wide to suit the uni joint I have. Do I have the wrong one or do I need to replace the whole tailshaft to match?

Sent from my DUB-LX2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Underpants1967 said:

Part way through a V8 conversion in my XC wagon. Ordered a 31 spline yoke to match the FMX however the yoke is wider at the uni end than the old yoke and tailshaft. Too wide to suit the uni joint I have. Do I have the wrong one or do I need to replace the whole tailshaft to match?

you can get a hybrid uni joint to go both sizes,

i think (can't remember) the EB to EL wagon tailshaft used the same uni's as the FMX but then if you are keeping the original 6cyl diff then you'll have the same issue at the diff end.

i'd look into the uni joint that is for both sizes, can't remember what they are called, unless @Thom can think of a better way to do it

The diff is an LSD disc which I thought came from a V8? It has same uni size as my tailshaft as I have already bolted it in prior to removing the crossflow. Does this mean that V8 diffs have different uni size and that I still have a 6 cyl diff?

The diff is an LSD disc which I thought came from a V8? It has same uni size as my tailshaft as I have already bolted it in prior to removing the crossflow. Does this mean that V8 diffs have different uni size and that I still have a 6 cyl diff?

V8 diffs had same uni size in my opinion, if borg warner

but i only knew that FMX came in things with 9" diffs which would take the different uni(there's a few different sizes with them also though)

no idea if FMX/top loader only used 9" from factory. but there's ways around it with the custom uni joints as the cheaper way (modded tailshaft another, possibly different size uni in the yoke available? )

you can get a hybrid uni joint to go both sizes,
i think (can't remember) the EB to EL wagon tailshaft used the same uni's as the FMX but then if you are keeping the original 6cyl diff then you'll have the same issue at the diff end.

i'd look into the uni joint that is for both sizes, can't remember what they are called, unless [mention=43]Thom[/mention] can think of a better way to do it
Crossover uni is the easiest and cheapest way to go about it, I can't remember the part number for them any more though, but they are still readily available

Sounds like I may need to get a tailshaft made up or get someone to make 31 spline yoke withe the smaller uni size. Thanx for the info.

as Thom said above there's a uni joint that's 2 different sizes for this application