Grr351

Replacing selector seal in single rail

Hi I have my single rail out of my falcon and would like to replace the selector shaft seal ,what's involved in doing this ? 

1  , remove the six 7/16 bolts from the extension housing which I have done ,how do I pry the extension housing off ? And anything else I need to know ? 

PS also I will replace the extension housing gasket also ,does this gasket need sealer on both sides ?

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, Grr351 said:

Hi I have my single rail out of my falcon and would like to replace the selector shaft seal ,what's involved in doing this ? 

1  , remove the six 7/16 bolts from the extension housing which I have done ,how do I pry the extension housing off ? And anything else I need to know ? 

PS also I will replace the extension housing gasket also ,does this gasket need sealer on both sides ?

Thanks in advance 

when i did mine about 20yrs ago,  i'd have used aviation gasket cement on both sides of the gasket (paranoid) 

yeah nothing is holding it on other than the roll pin on the selector shaft to the gearstick housing otherwise. 

i'd remove the speedo drive just to be sure it doesn't snag on something. (if it's XD XE XF etc. prior will be cable and needed removing to get the box out of car)

it might have dowel pins, that are keeping it tight on the box i can't remember. 

you will most likely find the selector shaft is worn. they all are. 20 years ago i would change out a single rails on a regular basis to 2 reasons . selector rail shaft or ir the notch in the selector fork. 

speedo sender out

remove the roll pin from the selector 

take off remote and ext housing

Dale