Demmo

Hard wire a jump starter

Ok. As I am governed on limited room in engine bay   Hopefully someone can give me some advice   I want to install a jump starter,  mounted next to battery as a backup   My aim is to leave it connected to car’s system full time when motor is running an isolate when not thus keeping it charged.    Hard wire output through a on/off switch  to car battery    So is it advisable to leave these small jump starters corrected all the time or do they need to be disconnected when fully charged   And. Any advise on a brand an type of jump starter.   

3 minutes ago, Demmo said:

So is it advisable to leave these small jump starters corrected all the time

what sort are you planning to use?

there's no way i'd have Lithium Ion unattended on My car.

and those little ones with a lead acid gel type battery are pretty crap. 

i'd sooner fit a dual battery setup if you had to have one?(why do you want one? just fit the best battery that fits in the space?

@SPArKy_Dave might have some thoughts

18 minutes ago, Demmo said:

I want to install a jump starter,  mounted next to battery as a backup   My aim is to leave it connected to car’s system full time when motor is running an isolate when not thus keeping it charged.

There may be a product out there, but if not, it'd be custom.

I'm not sure a Li Ion jump pack would charge safely, via the 12v jump leads?

Li Ion packs are charged via inbuilt battery management systems, as they're comprised of many 1.2v AA cells, wired appropriately.

Each small group of cells are monitored separately, so they're all charged equally.

You could possibly achieve ur idea, using a 12v charger via the jump-pack's plug-in charge port?

Some may need a button pushed to commence charging though. I don't have enough experience with them.

My preferred jump pack, is still the old lead-acid type as IMO, they have a better safety profile when charging.

Hi dean   I am restoring an old 4pot camper van.  It has been fitted with a 4x4 battery 900cca.  This fills the battery cradle under the floor of van.  About 15 minutes to unbolt bed frame to get to battery  A pain to get to in a hurry.   I was thinking of a repco jumper 1200 amp for a temporary solution as I want to use the van first to see if I will use it lol.  2 smaller car batteries will fit but reducing the length of time for running fridges an lights while having a full starter battery versus a small jump starter battery.   Maybe I just have to raid the piggy bank for the smaller batteries an carry a better quality jump starter   

Cheers sparky  that info about the jumper being all small batteries was an eye opener think I will be staying away from them then.  I think I better do some more researching    Thanks again guys

demmo 

17 minutes ago, Demmo said:

2 smaller car batteries will fit but reducing the length of time for running fridges an lights while having a full starter battery versus a small jump starter battery.

you can chat to a camping solar dude @SPArKy_Dave may not be familiar with? 12v dual battery kits, but there are many that will shut the power off when the battery is still ok to start the van (suspect a 900cca even at 11v would crank that 4cyl van fine for eg) chuck a solar panel on the roof and you'd not likely to need a jump starter anyway depending on current draw of the system (I've only just scratched the surface of this stuff, i think it would be handy to have for future insecure 240v house supply)

6 minutes ago, deankxf said:

12v dual battery kits

i think it would be handy to have for future insecure 240v house supply)

Yrs ago, I built a dual battery controller for my Range Rover, as the early 80's models have dual battery trays from factory,

just no wiring.

The way things are headed, batteries could be cheaper than grid supply!

(probably not, but who knows!)

Last year, I looked into the old single cylinder diesel gensets, made by Lister.

They run on almost any oil-based fuel source.

Gee is there still single cylinder listers engines about?     Just been thinking about the above comments about a single battery.  As all the jump starters seem to have alligator clamps I am wondering if you could change them over to 50amp Anderson plug so you could have a permanent connection hard wired to battery an plug jumper into it when needed  even if I use the newer lithium type over agm    ???? Thanks 

My brother's bike has a connector hard-wired onto the battery to fit a trickle charger so you don't have to take it apart every time you want to charge it. Could you maybe do something similar to that and just leave the plug in a convenient place to hook up when you want to jump it?

10 hours ago, Demmo said:

50amp Anderson plug so you could have a permanent connection hard wired

I have seen Anderson plugs mounted in various places(not sure on amps needed for jump starts)

I’ve got a dual battery system in 2 of my utes and they use this dual battery isolator. They have an override button on the isolator that connects starting battery to auxiliary battery if starting battery dies on you. My xf ute has an N70 lead acid battery in the tub and I’ve used this feature to start my crossflow many times. I’ve also got the same isolator in a Px Ranger 3.2 litre diesel and my 85ah auxiliary battery has jump started it using the isolator override feature. So simple and fast, I couldn’t suggest an easier solution

6ff4489dcc0f842e923129cecc018b80.jpg

1 hour ago, Ando81 said:

I’ve got a dual battery system in 2 of my utes and they use this dual battery isolator.

this is what i was thinking of, other battery can be anywhere really.