WyldeXE

Cam retainer 351c

Morning All,

Just thought of something while mentally building a motor - the cam thrust plate on a std Clevo obviously wasn't for a roller style cam, so i pose the question to you all that have done this conversion before - did you use the standard retainer, or did you upgrade to the needle bearing style?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Yeah right - so i guess as long as the plate itself is the same physical thickness(taking into account the offset behind it to fit the bearing component etc) it would be a direct replacement with just the added benefit of less friction.

I would have thought looking at things like K-kits etc that if it was a requirement, that they'd be included in that, but i can't find any details to state that.  Almost like its an optional extra. Maybe i'm just being paranoid...

even when you buy a roller cam and lifter kit retro it does not state that it is needed,i can ask at machine shop later today where he runs sprint car engines with roller cam bearings ect.

also chex cam movement in tunnel ,some chain makers give the shim,but on a street motor i would not even buy any of this expensive gear i have learnt to many times ,you have made the right choice by roller cam upgrade,use the left over cash in other areas,i dont even use roller rockers ,std rockers are fine with mild cam.i think the smALLEST roller cam for a clevo is 505 lift .

ok i took time off work because it was bugging me too,i went to the machine shop and asked him,and got more than i bargined for,1 a gear drive on a cleveland will need shim to centre it from wobbling,2 a chain may need the shim ,3 a hyd cam on a cleveland has lobes ground a certain way to make the lifter rotate on each bank,4 a roller cam is different again the way it is ground ,5 you do NOT need a needle roller cam plate for your app,just another expensive purchase ,the guy said if anything just cut 2 tiny slots extra on the plate to oil the sucker more,but refer to number 5 you dont need it,just buy a quality std plate that has oil slots on both sides not a cheap pro comp one,they dont have any,and 6 hurry up and build it because skids not loading.

ok i took time off work because it was bugging me too,i went to the machine shop and asked him,and got more than i bargined for,1 a gear drive on a cleveland will need shim to centre it from wobbling,2 a chain may need the shim ,3 a hyd cam on a cleveland has lobes ground a certain way to make the lifter rotate on each bank,4 a roller cam is different again the way it is ground ,5 you do NOT need a needle roller cam plate for your app,just another expensive purchase ,the guy said if anything just cut 2 tiny slots extra on the plate to oil the sucker more,but refer to number 5 you dont need it,just buy a quality std plate that has oil slots on both sides not a cheap pro comp one,they dont have any,and 6 hurry up and build it because skids not loading.
Thanks mate, great info i really appreciate it. The timing set ive got is a rollmaster double, with the multi keyway crank sprocket. It does have a shim supplied, checked it last night.

Trust me, im hangin to get the block back. The last update from the machine shop was that it was still about a month off and that was a week or so ago. Still needs to have decking completed and rear main ground to suit the single piece seal.

Feels like forever, but hey whats another few weeks in the grand scheme of things.

The box goes in next monday for a check over and shift kit install. This weekend I'll finish cutting back the new paint on the rear quarters where those little rust spots were and then im back to waiting.

Thanks again, and beleive me you guy will be the first to know when the clevo is back and being put together!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Don't need an expensive cam plate. The cam moves forward slightly with resistance from the dizzy gear etc...But it's not a high load area. I've never bought a new plate, ever. Still got the 45 year old one in my XB, and that gets a good hammering every now and then.

Just make sure its nice and flat, no grooves in it, etc. DON'T over tighten the bolts, nice and firm with some blue never come off juice.!