RM351

Bad Earth Issues?

Hey Guys, scratching my head with this one, not sure where to start looking.

When I apply the brakes, my right front park light and dash lights come on. I've checked all the lights, reverse lights, wipers, heater fan all work normally with the brakes applied or not.

Any ideas where else to look?

3 hours ago, RM351 said:

Hey Guys, scratching my head with this one, not sure where to start looking.

When I apply the brakes, my right front park light and dash lights come on. I've checked all the lights, reverse lights, wipers, heater fan all work normally with the brakes applied or not.

Any ideas where else to look?

first place to look is the body earths, on XD, XE XF etc there's the battery earth to the engine block and then another earth that goes from the engine to the car body.  if this is missing you'll have weak earths on everything. 

mate of mine has a weird issue now in an XG where if you turned the lights on the car would stall (engine cuts out for some reason) (the "fix" albeit temporary was to earth a wire in the headlight loom for some reason. doesn't make sense still but something's not right with it. ) 

i think on your car you may need to check your tail light earths, i assume there'll be one in behind the tail light housings.  but it's likely something simple like that. 

Well, I did solve the issue and it was a simple one.

I replaced all the globes with led ones except the dash lights and replaced the turn signal relay to suit the led's.

I know that some people have issues with the led brake/park globes either they have a single filament base or they need to be turned around to work properly.

I have the twin filament base one and though no issues in working, I found out it was the cause of the faulty earth of the problem. Once I replaced them with standard globes the issue was gone.

Wish I thought of it in the first place, would've saved me a lot of grief. 😠

Bought four of these globes off eBay and tried all four of them and they still caused the same problem.

Maybe they don't work as a park/brake globe or maybe these ones are just shit. In the bin they went.

20221214-193239.jpg

10 hours ago, RM351 said:

Well, I did solve the issue and it was a simple one.

I replaced all the globes with led ones except the dash lights and replaced the turn signal relay to suit the led's.

I know that some people have issues with the led brake/park globes either they have a single filament base or they need to be turned around to work properly.

I have the twin filament base one and though no issues in working, I found out it was the cause of the faulty earth of the problem. Once I replaced them with standard globes the issue was gone.

Wish I thought of it in the first place, would've saved me a lot of grief. 😠

Bought four of these globes off eBay and tried all four of them and they still caused the same problem.

Maybe they don't work as a park/brake globe or maybe these ones are just shit. In the bin they went.

20221214-193239.jpg

that's interesting, never seen that problem before  

the blinker LEDs often need a different "electronic" flasher can otherwise you get a fast flash rate

never thought about them in the front of an XB (parker/indicator) but can see the benefit being brighter (if they worked) 

there's probably someone like sparkydave who'd be able to explain why they didn't work, but the BIN is an easy answer to many questions lol. 

Electricity takes the path of least resistance.

Those LED globes must've had a high resistance from brake to earth connection,

and a lower resistance, from brake to tail light connection.

If the globe is slightly undersize, and doesn't contact the lamp holder socket earth properly, it'll do the same.