WyldeXE

XE Dash Options

Hey All,

So the instrument cluster in the project XE is of the econo gauge type which i'm not too keen on.  As i've already got SAAS Oil Pressure/Volts/Water Temp external guages mounted, i'm considering 2 options as far as the actual internal cluster goes.

The first is - try and hunt down an original Tach style dash and just swap them over or,

the second is, remove the existing econo gauge and speedo from my existing cluster and replace with aftermarket style guages like this - ford-xe-falcon-dash.jpg

what are you thoughts?

My concern with option 2 is the speedo and getting it to work with a C4.  I'm happy to put in the effort required to make it work obviously but not even sure where to start.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

That looks great but will costalotta moola. In Brisbane I get my instrument work done by Lionel Otto Instruments, Evans Rd Salisbury. Ph 0732773888.

What you can buy.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/325441893751?hash=item4bc5d93577:g:DdUAAOSwaBRjhFtZ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBuk9xJKm0w8pmPXpxAQ4RWCNWr7QSV2KPsqHHp3YwTIMThwj%2Ff9dYx6ubAyR2rwDncJs7koiDArTWwPrlYQHcjkCd4lQwH28rdJmHf%2B4tuiHEqFBCq7jHgV2QUN6UMo4k2Q7ZzQRwqE0%2BLblQpMUQyo5dJoUR9nInOGbtdzOc7GBS1lrF4guXayaARzhZao%2BzeXPWC%2FaHwEtZDYuX2XAbA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9ai-cCeYQ

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/234809114821?hash=item36abb6c0c5:g:DzkAAOSwcThhCNQy

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/334639247511?epid=1542143734&hash=item4dea0db097:g:kb4AAOSwgSFigzji&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsFEq24cdHsKgnKb%2Fy%2BqxDolQV%2Bm991KVFQGyLDW%2F9DkqkHRqPGgwCjiWt5IEYfF5xB8ynO7LbZ0g1ddFcY%2BLdh6UmSuPkyjJse1%2Bkw8moG5m5Aw7LcsQxKMkjDiMjLzri7XU2nRJZ7YBchBwkvWDgB5yHQ5Wm%2B3ptGLafP%2F0UT%2FmD%2FZVFywcCbQndllvVp%2FarfU2poX4FMzVQDZxvymZ7%2FBC%2FBd4SAHdCHbBANKeX%2FYi|tkp%3ABk9SR6ThuMGeYQ

I would go with the genuine cluster. Fits straight in and plugs into existing wiring loom, only need to find correct speedo sender unit cog to suit diff ratio. Also maintains originality.

I have just changed the cluster in my 84 Fairmont, no problems.

Next thing you will need to consider is the fuel tank sender unit. They do not like the latest fuels which oxidize the copper strips in them. Otto Instruments are currently making up a new unit for me which has a float for $350. It will save me carrying around a 10 litre fuel can.

There are a couple of threads on here about sender units.

By the way you shouldn't worry about the chrome strip on the front of the bonnet. It is useless and only promotes rust. The same with the strips around your tail lights. Remove them, bog the holes and paint.

With the huge engine and transmission mods you intend you need to upgrade your steering and suspension to match starting with rims and tyres. In 14, 15 and 16 inch diameter sizes there are few if any performance tyres available. I have seen 18' snowflakes available but can't find them. I think it is the wheel mob at Kingston who make them.

The only mods I have done to my XE are a blueprint and balanced crossflow engine with a mild cam, extractors and a single rail 4 speed gearbox which is more than enough to take it to the edge of it's handling capabilities and makes it a great cruiser with a nice note.

If I was ever going to consider putting a V8 in it, a Windsor fom an E series is the way I would go to maintain the weight balance these cars are designed for. The Clevelands are way to heavy and require sand bags or lumps of lead in the boot to maintain rear end traction 

Thanks mate, definitely food for thought, and yeah i've considered the change of sender in the tank to suit an aftermarket style gauge.

With regards to the steering mods, can you let me know which components need changing there please?  I was of the impression that so long as the suspension and brakes matched that, or were an improvement over factory fitted V8's it was good to go?  

Front suspension is already running V8 springs(according to the part number anyway).  Bushings throughout have been replaced by previous owner.  Front tires are 235 and rears are 255's which I assume far surpass the original footprint of even the factory 8's.

Appreciate your input, if you can let me know about steering mods, that'd be great please.

Cheers

Not steering mods, just make sure all components are up to scratch.

You might consider heavy duty sway bars. Some say that is the best handling upgrade you can make.

I have a set of Kings Super low springs if you are interested. $100 and I could bring them to Brisbane next time I am down which will be fairly soon.

On 12/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, cisco said:

Not steering mods, just make sure all components are up to scratch.

You might consider heavy duty sway bars. Some say that is the best handling upgrade you can make.

I have a set of Kings Super low springs if you are interested. $100 and I could bring them to Brisbane next time I am down which will be fairly soon.

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Appreciate the offer, but i'm nowhere near that point as yet!!  The springs that are in it, according to the part number are the V8 variant.  It does sit a little high currently, so once the clevo goes in, i'll have a look at the ride height and go from there.  A nice lowered stance will be nice, but not super low - i'm gettin' too old for that now haha