XES 384

BW40 to Replace BW35

Hi all,

Did a search but results a bit mixed so here goes-

What would be involved in swapping a BW40 out of an XF into an 84 XE EFI that currently has a BW35 in it? Straight swap or is there more involved?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, XES 384 said:

Hi all,

Did a search but results a bit mixed so here goes-

What would be involved in swapping a BW40 out of an XF into an 84 XE EFI that currently has a BW35 in it? Straight swap or is there more involved?

Cheers

the kickdown cable (TV cable ) you need to remove the sump and from memory it's pretty simple to unhook and swap to the other box.  (i did the opposite about 10yrs ago, swapped an EFI BW51 into a carby spec BW40  and just swapped the cable over. 

the BW35 can possibly have the trans cooler lines on the opposite side, that might be a pain in the ask, the T bar shifter adjustment might be slightly different also as i remember mucking around changing a BW35 into My XE ute that had a stuffed BW40

i've seen the BW35 with the cooler lines on either side, so you might be lucky, and i have no idea why the shifter rod needed mucking with as i'd still assume it is located exactly same spot as the others on the transmission case. 

quick visual should see the cooler lines on the correct side or not, and the cable was fairly simple with the sump off. 

(i vaguely remember the cortina BW35 having the lines on the wrong side when My brother fitted the XF engine and BW40 to his TE back 25yrs ago ish)

the kickdown cable (TV cable ) you need to remove the sump and from memory it's pretty simple to unhook and swap to the other box.  (i did the opposite about 10yrs ago, swapped an EFI BW51 into a carby spec BW40  and just swapped the cable over. 

the BW35 can possibly have the trans cooler lines on the opposite side, that might be a pain in the ask, the T bar shifter adjustment might be slightly different also as i remember mucking around changing a BW35 into My XE ute that had a stuffed BW40
i've seen the BW35 with the cooler lines on either side, so you might be lucky, and i have no idea why the shifter rod needed mucking with as i'd still assume it is located exactly same spot as the others on the transmission case. 

quick visual should see the cooler lines on the correct side or not, and the cable was fairly simple with the sump off. 

(i vaguely remember the cortina BW35 having the lines on the wrong side when My brother fitted the XF engine and BW40 to his TE back 25yrs ago ish)

Thanks mate, much appreciated Are there any other Trans options you would suggest I consider that are perhaps even simpler to swap or would the BW40 be about as simple as a it gets?

1 hour ago, XES 384 said:

Thanks mate, much appreciated emoji106.png Are there any other Trans options you would suggest I consider that are perhaps even simpler to swap or would the BW40 be about as simple as a it gets?

are you sure it's got a BW35? it should have a BW40 in it from new. = direct swap from XF. other than the kickdown cable(if it was a carby, if the XF was EFI it would be same cable)

the BW51 from the XF EFI was supposed to be better, (when new) but these days everything's worn out unless otherwise rebuilt in My opinion. 

the ideal conversion for power/responsiveness/gearing/strength is the C4 that the XD ghia came with (6cyl) but i don't know how you'd go with the kickdown cable on EFI due to it wasn't an option on XD. that trans needs the XD ghia shifter also(or a V8 one from XA to XE with C4/C10 ) and speedo gear swap on the sender and trans lines and possibly flex plate(possibly same?)

getting rare and very expensive these days though. 

i'd say swapping out a BW35/40 for another BW40 would be simple  ALSO REMOVE THE FLEXPLATE(auto flywheel) and replace the WATER welsh plug in the back of the block while it's apart. (guess how i know about that one) the other one is for the cam and naturally inline with the cam,  and won't need changing(oil behind it, not water/coolant) 

rebuilding the original? i guess you could if you are confident, not something i'd tackle personally. (spend hours/days doing it to put it back and still not work would be My luck) 

10 minutes ago, XES 384 said:

Update- finally got the car up on a hoist and can confirm as you said, it’s a BW40.
Cheers for your advice emoji106.png

don't forget to do the welsh plug behind the flywheel if the box is coming out, you'll thank me later. (if it's rusty, the ones under the exhaust manifold will be due also most likely)