xpbill

Head Change

I have a 250ci crossflow out of an XC.  The cast iron head is showing signs of age in as much as it needs valve seat inserts, valves and guides, and a skim, so the hunt for a replacement has started,  Seems all the serviceable cast heads are extinct and although I would like to stay with the cast head I have been offered an alloy head off an XE/XF.  My question is "Will the alloy head fit the older engine without modification?"

6 hours ago, xpbill said:

Will the alloy head fit the older engine without modification?"

i did this nearly 30yrs ago (XC block into XE with XE head) 

***NOTE if you wanted to keep your current carb(assuming stock) etc, you'd need to find the XD alloy head intake, it runs a single barrel stromberg same as the XC (pic below) one for sale on Gumtree Australia https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lesmurdie/engine-engine-parts-transmission/ford-xd-xf-4-1-250-x-flow-inlet-manifold/1300505912

inlet manifold on the iron head won't fit the alloy head due to water port exit. 

i don't remember much about it but most likely asked someone at the time? 

where i bought the VRS gasket set from said it wont work, the gaskets are different (XC to XE ) 

but all i found was the XC block didn't accept the dowels the XE head used, so just didn't use them.  

i'm going to assume the compression ratio will be higher, because this engine combo in My XE was one of the best "stock" one's i ever had (probably had 20 Xflow falcons over the years) 

you could measure the chambers to be sure(the alloy head already does have many varying chambers and sizes with different piston dishes so you probably should calculate compression ratio regardless)

My engine was on LPG 99% of the time but it ran on petrol fine (assume premium was used, never liked the cheaper fuel due to advancing timing to suit LPG better)

kByg16Y.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Difference in head gaskets for comparison.

Notes on them say suit alloy head

HC88hto.jpg

can see on the right (Alloy head) 2 of the holes on top row are bigger for the dowels. 

otherwise it looks same, i am betting i used the alloy head gasket due to the intake/exhaust gaskets in the VRS kit but i bet the XC one would have worked also 

i can only guess, but i bet i overlayed the gaskets and thought close enough, send it.