Harrison Kotrolos

Falcon XC Crossflow - Dying Oil Pressure

Hi all,

Not sure if this forum is still alive, given the expired certificate an all.

But I've got a terrible oil pressure problem, full story is on this forum - https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=6744749#post6744749

Quick run down on the engine

• Was re-built by Duncan Foster in Sydney around 8-9 years ago
  • Balanced and blueprinted
  • Is now running a C2 alloy head, rollers, XF EFI and Haltech.
  • Otherwise all stock internally

My latest update from today

So removed all the oil cooling and ran the engine stock.

New Z9 filter, HPR10 Racing oil, 20W-50.

Initially started okay, around 350KPA, and that was the end.

Engine did run hotter without the cooler, and when I stopped the car it sounded like a waterfall, at least 2-3 litres of oil dropped to the sump.

Is it normal for so much oil to be running to the bottom? I checked the oil while the car was running, nothing showed up on the dipstick....is that normal?

But otherwise, occasional 350kpa of oil pressure, otherwise oil pressure below 100kpa. It was just pain watching it, car wasn't making any terrible sounds, actually sounded fine.

Expect for the flat spot where it was at 5, I was just parked seeing what would happen, it just sat at 5kpa, never came up or anything.

Here is a photo of the data logged, showing pressure, RPM, throttle and coolant

Thoughts from anyone would be great, I'm hoping its a bad oil pump problem, but I think some bearings are just done in the car.

I've never hard metal chunks or bits come out of the oil, and it's hard to tell if the engine is actually dying, it was balanced perfectly so it runs smooth, even up to that 5000rpm on the photo, it was silk.

But the low oil pressure is definitely taking a tole, I can slowly hear it. Especially when at red lights.

I'm obviously just lost and a little defeated, the engine has always run very nice over it's life. It's just gotten back on the road this year after being off for 2 years.

Still alive crunk.
Your link won't work for me, probably operator error at this end.

I would fit a manual gauge and check the pressure with that first and foremost.
Eliminates the chance of a dodgy sender unit.

Triple check all connections in the oil pressure sensor circuit from the sender to the ecu.

Once you have verified there actually is an issue, then can proceed to next step.

3 hours ago, Slow250XC said:

Still alive crunk.
Your link won't work for me, probably operator error at this end.

I would fit a manual gauge and check the pressure with that first and foremost.
Eliminates the chance of a dodgy sender unit.

Triple check all connections in the oil pressure sensor circuit from the sender to the ecu.

Once you have verified there actually is an issue, then can proceed to next step.

Bloody awesome, place is a gold mine of knowledge, don't want it leaving me :) Let me know if the owner is around, I work in IT and can get the cert renewed.

Have done. When running both the ECU gauge and original cluster gauge, they operated identically and showed similar results.

Also then double checked all wiring, moved the ECU gauge directly onto the block (where the factory mounts), and changed to a new sensor as well.

All the exact same results.

Can also verify it's happening, you can feel slight metal on metal, and I think the long drive from Sydney back to Orange did more damage than I want to know, as a small bump noise is occurring when the pressure drops.

I've already flushed the system twice and tried various oils, all with similar results.

Uploading today's drive now, when the oil is cold on the first start and for the following 5 - 10 minutes, I get consistent pressure, both driving and holding RPM.

But once it's warmed up the erratic behaviour starts. Even with 20W-60, I guess going a heavier oil might help, but I would have thought by that point I would hear some serious knocking or noises at any RPM?

What would be your recommended next step?

Maybe your oil pump is dying.??   Was it replaced at rebuild.?  Oil pump drive shaft under dizzy??  Gasket or Silastic or something blocking the oil return from the head to sump.??

Just some random thoughts.