xbcool

t400 to clevo/winsdsor

gday trendsetters

my new motor is all but finished being built and now the gearbox delima is about to start,

motor is a windsor based dart block with clevo heads hoping for around 700fwhp.

I've been in contact with the  bloke I'm getting to build a box and he suggested a t400.

I'm not against this idea given that they are bullshit strong and the c4 do have limitations

I currently run a c4 in my xb it makes around the 550fwhp mark and have had no issues and it still shifts as an auto not a full manualised box 

the builder I'm using says this one will need to be full manual ,but a t400 can stay as an auto.

I'm open to suggestions and advice as I am yet to buy a convertor or tailshaft and exhaust can be massaged if necessary

thanks in advance

steve

Hey Steve, good to hear to new "Clevor" is ready. Can't help with the 'box, never had a 700HP engine.!!  

Did you want to stay auto shift or willing to shift manually.? I've heard amazing things can be done with C4's or even Powerglides.

Yep the motors been a slow process

Yep awesome thing can happen with c4s

I'd prefer to have auto shift

I'm not too concerned with me driving it but my Mrs. Will need to drive occasionally and I'm worried she'll stick it in d and burn the box out

I'm hoping gregaust drops in to offer some advice

Beauty is only skin deep

Ugly goes all the way to the bone

Did someone call?  :D  What's the reasoning for wanting manual VB?  Vacuum for shifts ? or line pressure ? 

A manual valvebody is likely the easiest way , gives full pressure and no dramas with vacuum for shifts . Auto shift can be done although can be tricky to set up , depending on cam size and engine vacuum  

Waht's the plans for use ? Street mostly or race only ? 

welcome gregaust

car will be used  50/50  street/strip

and the reason for wanting a box with vacuum is my missus will drive this car and I think she'll have trouble understanding that it has to be shifted manually.

I fear the car will be left in d and burn the box out 

cams not massive and I'm unsure of engine vacuum as it's yet to be run

Well you could go something like a Transgo kit , set up right it can work . The "Race" pressure spring they give you does give around 200 psi pretty easy as vacuum drops.  

Another option could be a PTC valvebody . They do an auto shift "ATB" (all time boost), what that does is gives line pressure similar to a manual valvebody as opposed to modulated line pressure .

It does still use a vacuum signal to shift although i seem the remember something that you might be able to run without the vacuum , although i've not tried . Have to check on that .

. I'm using one in one of my own trans seeing plenty of power :)   It does space the shifts slightly more than a normal valvebody but i like it. 

A few other mods it will hold up IMO