Kiwi-E

Tail shaft clearance (watts link)

So I'm doing a trial fit of putting super lows in the back of the xe and need to decide at what height to mount the bump stops (need to fab some up as the shocks i have don't have any). The tail shaft is closest to the floor about 100mm forward of the back uni and I've got it set with about 10mm clearance at full tuck. I'm wondering if this will be fine or if i need to leave more due to some deflection in the rubber bushes allowing the pinion to climb a tad.

Cheers guys and i'll get some photos once i find the camera

The body above the diff should have a rubber snubber fitted factory.The issue is once your load against it stuff is trying to push past and causing binding to a degree. 10mm is buggar all clearance and I know Q actually opened and lifted his tunnel to suit his low ride height in his XF.

If I had to say I reckon 10mm is no where near enough and boarder line dangerous as there will be no room to compress or the suspension to do it it's thing. You will need to fab taller shock tower rear and and look at modding your tunnel if you want to roll so low.

We do have threads to make em I'm sure...

Thanks mate, Ive got plenty of suspension travel with the super lows in , probably 80mm of compression or so. I was just wondering how much minimum drive shaft clearance I need at full compression so i can mount some bump stops at a height to give me maximum suspension travel.

It hasn't got the factory pinion snubber and the shocks i'm using don't have integrated bump stops on them. I'm planning on mounting some bumps directly under the frame rails which will nudge on the axle tubes. I think just a pinion snubber alone would put a lot of pain on the diff housing if you bottomed out hard where as a bump on each frame rail should have the loading closer to the wheels and won't try to bend the diff. 

Sorry if that first post read a bit misleading

Can still get them shock bumpers that slide onto the shock if that interests you.

If your using polyurethane in your trailing arms then you should not get enough twist to soak up 10mm of clearance. If you want you could measure from the center of the axle tube to your uni-joint pivot. and work out how many degrees it would take to produce 10mm vertical movement on the diff tube. IE, if the measurement is 300mm then it would take approx 3º to move the unijoint 10mm.

If you want want to do the math just print out a big protractor, and draw a line from the center of the protractor through 0º and another at 3º. make both lines the length that you measured earlier and then measure the distance between where each line finished.

A good set of poly rubbers should not see you an more than 2º deflection on a car making stock to moderate power.

Make sure your running a stiff shock if your going low.