scottly

Rust treatment for panel steel before primer

Hey guys, I'm wondering what is the best method for treating that veiny type of rust that's under paint usually? And I'm also interested on how to repair pitted rust sections aswell. I'm familiar with the por 15 rust treatment system, I also know of rust converters as well but I have never used them and I don't know the process from start to primer stage any info would be great thanks Scott

68633E0E-CAEA-4256-87FC-CF5ABA17CB55_zps

Couple of options.

1 If you can get hold of a mini sand blaster you can hit them with that to clean them up. Then prime the surface with an epoxy primer.

EPOXY GOES STRAIGHT OVER BARE METAL NO ETCH PRIMER or anything else.

2 Treat them with a metal conditioner. All the main paint companies will have their own versions. Most of them work the same usually a 3:1 mix of conditioner and water. You need to wear gloves as it is acidic. Dip a scotch brite pad into the solution and give the effected areas a good scrub. Then to neutralize the metal conditioner you clean with water. I do it in stages by soaking a rag to remove the bulk then use a few damp ones to get rid of the rest. Working your way down till its dry. Then orby sand it with 80 or even 40 grit to key up the surface then again hit it immediately with epoxy.

Another thing to remember about metal conditioners is to make sure it is properly neutralized. Also keep the stuff away from lapped joins where it can creep in between two panels cause you really can't tell if you have indeed neutralized the acid and if you haven't and it stays trapped it'll cause you problems later down the track.

Thanks mate, thats very help full, I might go down to the paint and panel shop over the weekend and see if they have metal conditioner and what the process is of there product is but I did just buy a little Sandblaster do you use sand or soda? Also I'm spraying acrylic so my fist step after treatment is still etch primer correct?

Couple of options.

1 If you can get hold of a mini sand blaster you can hit them with that to clean them up. Then prime the surface with an epoxy primer.

EPOXY GOES STRAIGHT OVER BARE METAL NO ETCH PRIMER or anything else.

This is what we usually do ... we use this DTM from valspa  http://www.valsparindustrialmix.com/TDS/au/TDSIME.FP400-FP401.pdf never had a problem or come back yet.