Nath

Manual Box Overhaul

Just had a few questions for you guys to see what the best course of action would be...

The box is out of the XR8 at the moment while I do the clutch and I was thinking it might be a good idea to see if I can get some work done to it while it's out anyway. I don't really know much about the internal workings of a gearbox, while I'd like to learn it could turn out to be an expensive lesson so probably best to get someone else to do it.

The box was ok but not great to begin with - everything was nice and tight (if a little clunky but I thought that was normal), but it did whine a bit in first and second, especially first. An oil change really helped that, but you can still hear a very slight whine from the box if you turn the music down and are driving slow enough, especially in first.

Whines pretty loud in reverse but I heard that's normal.

I am more worried about second gear - unless you were very deliberate with shifting it'd often only go halfway in and pop out. It got so bad on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd that I was double clutching it just to be sure. The new oil helped a bit but it still happens, if not as much.

I have full intentions of driving this thing hard (want to put it in a couple of hill climbs for a bit of fun) and I'd rather not have to baby it to stop it falling apart. I have some of that Nulon Smoothshift Paste to empty into it when I refill the oil which should help but obviously that's not a proper fix.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can get done to touch up the box (I know you're there unfamilia....) to extend its life a bit? Is it possible to just get some of the synchros done, and if so what's the rough cost of that?

Ring a few workshops and price a rebuild. I remember reading its about half the price of an auto, a few years back people were paying around a grand for exchange rebuilt T5s.

Cheers guys, gonna ring around and see what's up.

If I can get away with something for a few hundred that'd be good. Other than the shitty shifting into second it feels ok.