Sign in to follow this  
jamie247

XE BUmpers

hey guys just wondering if anyone knows if you can purchase new rear bumpers for xd/xe falcons mine unfortunately was painted by the last owner and aint worth repairing, also can you buy grilles new

Dont believe you can get new ones but there was some place a while ago advertising fully refurbed, like new, bumpers for round $250.

Sorry i just checked but i have deleted the email now. It was one of those exchange bumper places.

To be honest unless yours is warped or cracked beyond repair its prolly easier to refurbit yourself. Its not really that hard and they come up quite decent.

Afraid its all down to good old elbow grease and rubbing with wet and dry ( wet ) until you get a good clean surface to paint on.

I used a fairly fine grade, 240 i think, to start with and then down to 600 wet to clean mine up. If you use a coarser grade you run the risk of gouging the plastic and getting a furry surface.

Once you have cleaned it up, do any straightening you need to with a heat gun then give it a good wash down with wax and grease remover an spray bout 3 coats of plastics primer on. Rub it back again with 600 wett to iron out any imperfections and reprime any rub throughs.

I used K&H Satin black bumper spray to refinish mine ( bout 4 coats) and then fitted a new chrome trim to finish off.

yeah i thought that the case oh well after detailing fibreglass inside trains etc for the last 4 years i'm used to rubbing panels down will start next week cheers man :)

I believe you can buy plastics paint stripper but I dont have any experience with it so I wont recommend it! :D

Yes you can, yes I've used it. Krylon make it in a pressure pack (spray can). I've got one at home, if I remember I'll take a photo of it.

It works well on acrylic and enamel paints, not too flash on 2K though as it's formulated with less bite than your average stripper from a 4lt can.

Wet and dry would probably be faster but last time I stripped paint off a bumper I just used cutting compund. Get the paint off,put some new supercheap wheel arch moulding on to replace the chrome strip, give it a go over with tyre shine, and it should come up great!