scottly

Rust Treatments for inner panels

Hey guys, I'm currently doing rust repairs on my Xd ute I cut a section out of the passenger side rear sill and noticed it's got surface rust on the inside not to bad but enough to make me want to treat it correctly, I have no idea what product to use or how you could even apply it inside the full length of the sill.

All help would be great especially if there are any panel beaters that want to share there knowledge

F978DEBC-DFE7-45D0-9F47-21F8473F7156_zps

First off, I'd get the pressure washer in there, to clean out all the dust.

Then I'd buy some Evaporust or Safestrustremover - both competing products, but work the same way.

They're waterbased rust removers.

You set up a small wading pool/reservior under the area to be de-rusted, then use a pond pump and hose setup (get creative here)

to spray/circulate the solution onto the rusted area's.

It might take a couple of hours, or a couple of days of circulating the rust remover, to dissolve the rust.

Once the area's are cleaned up, I'd seal with a Fish Oil or Panel Wax product.

there is a real simple way to spray in there witha cavity hos e attached to a spray gun like, look at the hose in the picture

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BODY-DEADENER-GUN-UNDERBODY-COATING-GUN-AIR-OPERATED-WITH-CAVITY-SPRAY-TUBE-/251560971817?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9233ce29

the hose is basicallt blocked at the end, and has afew holes on the sides towards the end where it sprays out in a pattern all the way around. We use them all the time at work, and basically just spam the crap in there till it drips out everywhere :D

First off, I'd get the pressure washer in there, to clean out all the dust.

Then I'd buy some Evaporust or Safestrustremover - both competing products, but work the same way.

They're waterbased rust removers.

You set up a small wading pool/reservior under the area to be de-rusted, then use a pond pump and hose setup (get creative here)

to spray/circulate the solution onto the rusted area's.

It might take a couple of hours, or a couple of days of circulating the rust remover, to dissolve the rust.

Once the area's are cleaned up, I'd seal with a Fish Oil or Panel Wax product.

Hey Dave thanks for the reply I have cut out the bad area the rest is only surface rust, if I was doing a gt restoration i would consider that method or removal of the whole sill and repair and seal the metal. I am basically after a spray on product to stop the rust in its tracks before it starts eating away and creating holes.

there is a real simple way to spray in there witha cavity hos e attached to a spray gun like, look at the hose in the picture

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BODY-DEADENER-GUN-UNDERBODY-COATING-GUN-AIR-OPERATED-WITH-CAVITY-SPRAY-TUBE-/251560971817?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9233ce29

the hose is basicallt blocked at the end, and has afew holes on the sides towards the end where it sprays out in a pattern all the way around. We use them all the time at work, and basically just spam the crap in there till it drips out everywhere :D

Hey mate I have one of these spray guns but I have misplaced the hose section i will have to try and find it, also I think I would have to make it pretty long to get up into the sill. What product are you spraying to stop the rust mate are you just using fish oil or is there more proffetional product out there? Cheers scott

Wouldnt be too hard to make something up the same but longer if needed :D

tbh it changes all the time on what we use. We just ring one or two of our suppliers and grab whatever they suggest for whatever we are doing.

ME, id just spray some sort of self priming rust remover that doesnt need removing then fish oil it, or even just fish oil it. When I did my xf some 89 years ago I just fish oiled inside every panel still not a spot of rust after all this time.