Sign in to follow this  
GspecZL

Quater panel surface rust.

The fairlane 500 i have bought has the rear quater panels stripped. Because they have been bare for a while there is some minor surface rust. I have started to sand it of.

My question is once i have sanded it all what should i do next? Should i treat it with a rust curing /converting wash like rustech? Or should i etch prime it? I want to get it all covered up before it starts getting pitted and i want to stop future rust as best i can.

That should work fine. Fertan is a good one too. The stuff from supercheap that looks like lime cordial is not so good. Most of the converters from bunnings are like that too.

Depends how much rusty is on there. If there is only light surface rust i would hit it with 80 grit on an orby to clean up the panel and scuff the surface, wash it with wax and grease remover and then hit it with etch primer. The etch primer has anti-corrosion properties and provides a seal to moisture, it also aids in paint adhesion to the metal surface.

its fairly light. I hit it with the random orbital for a second this morning with a 180 grit. Its was all i had. That had it of very easy. Thanks Hendrixhc.

Just remember to clean it off with W&G remover asap and seal it cause it will start to corrode straight away, especially if it is humid.

You should be fine without the converter/dissolver stuff, as long as you W/G remove it (as hendrix said), and get at least primer on it soon, and then paint ASAP. 

If you get rust converter/dissolver I recommend NOT using Motorspray brand, their rust remover/treatment product is crap!! I bought one only the other day that is working more than 10x better, can't remember the brand though!!

You should be fine without the converter/dissolver stuff, as long as you W/G remove it (as hendrix said), and get at least primer on it soon, and then paint ASAP. 

If you get rust converter/dissolver I recommend NOT using Motorspray brand, their rust remover/treatment product is crap!! I bought one only the other day that is working more than 10x better, can't remember the brand though!!

I am strong believer that anything with Motorspray on the can is crap!

Yeah, if you could get all of it off with the sander then no need for the converter. I found motospray's vinyl spray is ok, but I agree that alot of their other stuff is a little lacking. Not living in the city I'm pretty limited to what I can get, the stuff sold in the basic auto shop is all can use sometimes. Thankfully just because something is cheap doesn't always mean it's crap.

after alot of sanding i wasnt happy that all the surface was clean. So i put some rusttech on it. It turned a few bits black so im glad i did it.