xwagon

smart lock light trouble in the xf ute

hello everbody,

need some advice on what i should do next.

i have a 1988 xf ute fitted with a 1993  4 litre engine, gearbox etc.  looks to have had most of the wiring loom fitted to run this new engine, as well as the dash. yesterday i fitted a new handbrake lever/ cable,  this must have some how upset the red smart lock box, as was unable to start engine ( would crank over but not fire]  the only way i can start the thing is to turn on and leave for 1/2 hour then it will start.

so this is what it does;

smart light flashes 7 times then a pause then flashes 7 times then a pause then flashes 7 more times then a pause then flashes hard out for a good 2o minutes then stays on,

so what do i need to do to fix it??

hey mate, it's flashing a Code 7, which I cn't find in me smartlock section of manual, and ya motor etc might be a later model like 94-95 because 93 motors don't run smartlock on XG's.

The smartlock box is actually on the passenger side. Check your interior light is working, and also, as stupid as it sounds.... check your wiper motor fuse.

I bet 50 ya knocked something off the fuse box or something when ya installed the handbrake cable. Check all ya wiring around that area.

Hope that helps.

Jack.

hey jack

engine could be 1991, as has 91 AA cast into the front of the head,  has a red box which has been cable tied up under the centre part of the dash, next to were the handbrake lever column runs down, just before i had it running then was able to turn it off and restart it , did this a few times then left it for five minutes then went to restart and no go. 

Sorry mate smartlock actually started from 10/1992 , and your motor is either  very late EB, EB2 or ED (which includes XG motors)

91AA is an engine prefix that also matches up to the Prefix for the ECU.

That box is not the smartlock unless they moved it from behind the passenger side speaker, which would be a pain in the arse.

Your Smartlock is locking you out, it is looking for 3 signals, one from the ECU, one from the Key-via the ignition barrels Octo-coupling and another one from somewhere else i forget, as long as it gets 2 of those the smartlock will let it start.

Check all your wiring and fuses, just sounds like something is loose, could even be an ignition wire. Smartlock modules can be bypassed by using a J3 chip or an octo coupling trick which i won't share here.

Jack.

hey

all very helpfully info, have looked at the fuses and for loose wires,  i have two ignition barrels, one from what must have been in the car were the engine come from, will keep looking at loose wires.

The ignition barrel , key and smartlock are matched mate, so maybe try the one that is originally for that motor and ECU, that should work, maybe the last person didn't know they have a resistor in the key that completes a circuit with thw octo-coupler which reads it.

Jack.