Panko

In - car OBD2 ECU scanner/monitor

Hi guys, 

So in my daily driver, a 2003 Mazda 6 Luxury Sport, Ive been toying with on board ECU monitoring using the OBD2 port (which every car built post 1996 has). Ive been using a great little wifi dongle that goes into the OBD2 port, and spits out a WIFI signal that I pick up on my iPhone in an app. it works really well, however now that I'm convinced how handy it is, I'm looking for something a little more permanent, with a half decent LCD screen, that i can essentially mount semi-permantly in the car which can just stay there, rather than running the battery down on my phone every time i run the app. 

What are people's recommendations? 

I don't want to spend huge dollars (i know some of them go for over $2500) 

havent ever seen one in australia but you see them heaps in the usa so have a look over there

i personally use a 25 dollar ebay special bluetooth obd2 reader and the torque app, love it

i think youll find everycar has them after like 2002 or something, not 1996 either

havent ever seen one in australia but you see them heaps in the usa so have a look over there

i personally use a 25 dollar ebay special bluetooth obd2 reader and the torque app, love it

i think youll find everycar has them after like 2002 or something, not 1996 either

yeah thats what i have at the moment, just my iPhone and a wifi one.

i don't know what year the OBD2s came out. I read somewhere last night hunting about they came out in 1996, another one said 1998. possibly different for different countries. 

Look for anything from the Autel brand. I have an Autel 519 and use it at least 3 times a day on different cars. The newer the car the better it works, fault codes and live data is good. I bought it off eBay. I didn't want to spend too much as fuckwits like to break into our vans and knock off our tools. Mine set me back the massive amount of $119 with free shipping.