bigpaulo

Ethanol 85

What do you guys know about E85 fuel? I was told by someone whos about to have his rotary built for it that it burns a lot cleaner, colder, and has a heaps higher octane rating...

Now this sparked my interest because I have an xf, I wouldnt mind a v8 in it, however i HATE gas. Dont ask me why, dont try and sway me, I just hate it haha. Im also not a fan of putting in an injected motor.

So my brain got ticking, and I thought perhaps if I ran a small v8 like a 302W,  and had it set up to take E85, maybe just maybe I could make it pass emissions here in Victoria.

However I have no idea whats involved in setting up an engine/fuel system to enable it to run on E85. If anyone knows about this I'd love to hear your input.

Cheers!

Paul

Setting up is easy enough buy an e85 carby run fuel lines and buy a fuel pump that is compatible with alcohol. It uses about an extra 30% more than petrol.. Keeping a carby tuned on pump e85 is a different story. Alcohol evaporates and maybe different blends season to season youd be forever changing jets. E85 is hydroscopic meaning it absorbs water over time and corrodes alluminium. Even ate the nickel plating off my fuel bowl screws.

Less hassel running efi. Imo.

and to answer your question, i don't think any engineer would sign off on an e85 carbied car, all you have to do is change the fuel system and your back on pulp.

i love E85, its why i'm using it from now on.

also keeping a carby tuned on a e85 is simple, e85 doesn't change its mix through the seasons, only e-flex does.

united is the only servo in the country that sells E85