LLR

Upgrade XF 85 model 3 speed Column shift to 5 speed

Hi guys.

Just starting out on my first project and the first thing I want to do is get from 3 speed to 5 speed.

So is it just a case of droping the 3 speed out and installing 5 speed ?.

As you can see by the question I am a real newbie.

Thanks

Len

Is it a 3 speed manual?

If so, pretty easy.

Swap the column as well. 3spd out, new/different clutch, do the rear main while you're there, cut a hole in the floor, install five speed.

And you'll need a new clutch cable for the 5spd because your XF will have the clutch cable going to the drivers side, 5spds have the cable on the passengers, as do all 86 onwards XFs.

Mr Polson :-)

I found your project about your ute and spent a few hours reading it all, I am blaming you for my new addiction ( in a good way) .

Yep.. It is a 3 speed manual.

So do I need to get a new bell housing or will a T5 just bolt straight into the one that is there ?.

If it does what sort of clutch upgrade would you suggest?.

Is it just a matter of getting a new clutch of the same or does it have to be a new upgraded clutch.

Len

You'll need a T5 xflow bell housing, or you can drill a hole and tap a thread in it on you current bell housing, 3 of the 4 holes will line up.

It has to be a new clutch as the T5 boxes have more splines on the input shaft than the 3spd.

I haven't put a new clutch in mine yet, but good clutch brands I know of are Excedy and Clutch Industries.