XFute-1JZsoarer

XG alternator hits XF support rail.

Go for one that's 5-10mm shorter, 30mm will mean you won't be able to get the new belt on because you have to pull the alt up too high and it will bottom on the slot in the adjustment bracket. I learned that one the hard way :(

You reckon 30mm is too short mate?

Because I had about 40-50mm of adjustment left on the bracket before I pulled the alternator out, and 5-10mm doesn't seem like it'll be enough to give me some decent clearance, if any at all...

The local Repco fellas are a pretty good bunch here (kinda have to be when there's 2 auto parts stores in such a little town), I reckon they'd let me exchange the belt (if it won't fit) to another more suitable one.

I might try get the belt this arvo, but I'm going for a 1.5 hour drive (3 hours there and back) to go get the last couple of bits out of my XG today. So I'll finally have everything I need to finish the conversion.

If I manage to grab it today, I'll post up pics of the results tonight.

Well I got the belt this morning, not quite the size I was going for, this one is only 20mm shorter instead of the 30mm I was aiming for.

It was either the 20mm or a 40mm shorter belt they had in stock so I'll throw it on shortly and see how it goes...

image_zps778e1e16.jpg

Well I got the new belt on, was rather easy to fit.

Good thing I only got a 875mm belt, as the old 895mm must have been a bit stretched, so there's only about 10mm before I run out of adjustment.

It doesn't fix the problem completely, but it does clear the support.

I ended up notching the support for adequate clearance for the engine rocking, but the amount I took out was very minimal.

With the bit I cut out, I turned it around and put it back to make it look neater than a open hole.

image_zps5cfedfdb.jpg

As you can see the belt pulls the alternator up so it just sits above the rail now.

image_zps3240aad5.jpg

And this pic shows how much adjustment is left on the bracket, 870mm (25mm shorter) belt would be cutting it pretty close.

image_zpsb8248f79.jpg

So there you have it, that's basically my fix to the alternator problem, still need to fill in around the sides of the plate I put in, but you guys should get the idea.